Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 28

Re: Remote control of central heating system

Go to solution

@El-Gringo

Would you be prepared to provide full details on how you fixed the problem, and I will add it to forumhelp, as it may be useful to other people?

You can send the details to me by PM if you wish, and I will format it into a web page, and give you a link to the draft copy for you to check first?

Screenshots of the home hub port forwarding screens, and anything else that may be helpful.

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 22 of 28

Go to solution
As I said, although fairly IT literate, hubs/hub settings is still a bit of a mystery to me so I'm not exactly competent with it all. It took me a few attempts to get it to work so I'm not entirely sure of the exact sequence that did it but I will try & work my way through it again & see what detail I can come up with. It caused me a lot of grief & nobody seemed to have an answer including Salus so I would hope this info could help someone else in a similar predicament or at least point them in the right direction.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks.

If you can take some screenshots of your current home hub 5 port forwarding settings, showing the application name and the port numbers assigned to it.

Then the screen showing that application and the IP address you assigned to it, then that would be a start.

Any changes you had to make to the Salus unit as well.

If you look at one example submitted by a forum member, you will get the idea. This was for an IP camera.

Foscam IP camera

The first two screens showing the port forwarding settings (I think the home hub 5 is the same as the 4), are usually the most helpful.

You never know, it might help you in future, should you have to replace the home hub, or lose the settings.

If you have problems with the size of the screen shots, then I can provide an email address where you can send them to (via PM of course)

There are a couple more examples at the end of this page as well. A very popular page this one is.

Swann DVR8-4000

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 28

Go to solution

@El-Gringo has provided some information with the settings used to make the controller work, which may be helpful to others.

Salus IT500 central heating controller

0 Ratings
El-Gringo
Contributor
Message 25 of 28

Go to solution

As Keith Beddoe suggested might be the case, my previous attempts failed to provide a permanent solution to this problem & the Salus controller would still, eventually, go “off line” loosing remote communication with the system until I could manually reset the Salus controller.

A “light bulb” moment idea has led to what appears to be a permanent, if somewhat “Heath Robinson”, fix. It occurred to me that I could “reset” the Salus controller automatically simply by plugging it into a manual electrical timer! I initially set the timer to provide just one power off/on sequence in a 24 hour period but this did catch me out on one occasion as it went off line in between resets & I had to wait until the next reset before I could gain remote access again. I have now changed this to provide three resets between 08:00 & 23:00 meaning the longest theoretical wait in the event of failure would be <5 hours; fitting more timer pegs would reduce this even further.

This “fix” has now been working successfully since I last posted mid January & cost me nothing as I already had several mechanical timers left over from a previous fish tank installation I had some years ago. Even so, mechanically operated timers only cost a few £’s & well worth the extra cost to eradicate this very frustrating problem.

0 Ratings
Stubaru007
Beginner
Message 26 of 28

Go to solution
Hi
I know this thread is old but I’ve been using Salus IT500 for many years with no issues at a previous address. Issues started for me after moving recently and carrying over my service. BT Openreach took about 6-7 visits to try resolve the issues. Anyway 2 things I’ve noticed here; 1 the BT Hub 6 (I’m on my fourth one now) disconnects and reconnects a lot (to much for my liking) 2 the Salus was getting offline nearly everyday. Solution that has fixed both my problems, remove DHCP, Wi-Fi and DNS services from the Hub 6. The Hub 6 is simply now providing a modem and router service and so far has not disconnected the broadband in over a month nor has the Salus disconnected in over a month. What I am using in my custom setup is Unifi Access Points, Pi-Hole add blocker (provides DHCP and DNS) and a Unifi Controller. The Pi-Hole and Unifi are on a raspberry pi. This is a custom setup but it clearly shows the Hub 6 is not capable of providing the required services it should be able to do. I have also updated Salus support as the internet thermostat is great and it’s simply the ISP at fault here.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
paul36pvu
Beginner
Message 27 of 28

Go to solution

Hello Everybody!

I have been having similar issues with my Salus IT500, and after following the thread here I manage to finally make it work, so I thought I would share my experience.

Before, I had a router from my internet provider, in which I have connected my Salus IT500 gateway. The solution was to connect it to a better router, one with many possibilities of settings and routing rules. I left all settings on automatic, I did not need to add any port forwarding rules or anything else. Now the provider's router is just providing internet in my router's WAN port, and my router is providing Wifi and LAN connections.

2 days of testing and it did not disconnect once.

Hope it helps everybody 😉

All the best!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 28

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@El-Gringo has provided some information with the settings used to make the controller work, which may be helpful to others.

Updated link, as website moved.

Salus IT500 central heating controller

0 Ratings