Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daddybear11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Removing Wireless Device

Go to solution

Good Morning

Our young granddaughter stayed with us recently and during that time we allowed her to connect her i-pod to our BT Home Hub 4.

She has now returned home and I want to disable and/or remove her device from our system.

I am not very computer-literate and I do not know how to do this.

I should be very grateful if someone would kindly talk me through the procedure using 'novice' language - I have never needed to do this before.

Regards

Roy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Removing Wireless Device

Go to solution

If won't do any harm to just leave it on the Homehub but if you want to remove it depends what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to stop her logging onto your Homehub again you would need to either remove the connection from her device, change the wireless passkey on the Homehub or block the device on the Homehub.

If all you want to do is stop the device name from showing up on the "connected devices" on the Homehub you need to log onto the Homehub management page here http://bthomehub.home/ and then go to "Advance Settings" and log on there then go to "Home Network" and if her device is shown there click on the "Refresh" button.

If that does not remove it you need to click on the device's icon which will bring up another page where you can then click on the "delete device" button.

0 Ratings
daddybear11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

gg30340 - Many thanks for such a prompt reply. 

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I was waiting for e-mail notification of replies to come from the forum and nothing has arrived even though my profile is set up for it. So have only just seen your post.

Anyway... my main object here is to block all internet traffic to her device for future visits should she bring it with her again.

Following your link I got to the "BT Access Control" page - is this the one I want ?  If so, I think I need to tick 'Yes' on the Enable button and then 'No' on 'Disable access for all devices'.

The dropdown on 'Device' shows the i-pod.  The blocking "boxes" do show an option for 'Permanent' - is this the one I need to tick ? and then 'Apply' ?  There is an 'Add' button shown as well - do I need to do anything with that ?

After selecting Permanent do I need to leave the access Control enabled ?

Sorry to be such a dummy with this, but I have never done anything like this before and I am very wary of doing something which will wipe out all my internet for our other computers.

Hope you can help me with a bit of reassurance.

Regards

Roy

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Just change the wireless passkey, it will mean that you will also have to change it on your devices to match.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
However, without wishing to know the circumstances, I can't see why if she was allowed to use your connection previously she can't be allowed to again.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@daddybear11 wrote:

Following your link I got to the "BT Access Control" page - is this the one I want ?  Yes  If so, I think I need to tick 'Yes' on the Enable button and then 'No' on 'Disable access for all devices'. Correct

The dropdown on 'Device' shows the i-pod.  The blocking "boxes" do show an option for 'Permanent' - is this the one I need to tick ? and then 'Apply' ?  Yes There is an 'Add' button shown as well - do I need to do anything with that ? You need to click on "Add" so the device is added to the "list" of devices that access control will block.

After selecting Permanent do I need to leave the access Control enabled ? Yes. If you want to allow her to access the Internet again you will need to switch the control off.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

However, that will only block that particular device. Changing the passkey will prevent any device from connecting unless given the new password.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

As he was given a choice of options in message 2 I think it is only the one device he wants to block.

0 Ratings
daddybear11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340 - your reply in message 6 gives me all the info. that I needed.

Very grateful for your interest and help.

Best regards

Roy

0 Ratings