cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Removing an unwanted phone line.

Hi everyone,

I have an unused/unwanted phone line upstairs in my house, now I'm decorating I wanted to remove the cables as it stretches halfway round the place and is annoying. How easy is it and is it something I can do myself?

There is a small junction box by the front door where the external cable enters the property, both the phone lines are NTE5 style sockets that come independently from the box, so I don't think there's a master socket, is that right? Anyway here's an image of the junction box, the line I want to remove is the one on the lower right, slightly in the foreground...

http://postimg.org/image/y7jq1zv67/

I thought I maybe able just to unplug or unscrew stuff but it seems to be a wire clipping operation, and obviously don't want to get into that when I'm unsure of what i'm doing. If I can do this without call someone out would be good, so any advice greatly appreciated... Thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Removing an unwanted phone line.

That connection is Openreach property and you are not allowed to touch it you need an engineer to deal with this and it will be chargeable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

How can it be openreach's property, I'm not even a customer of theres? And why would I not be allowed to touch the wires going up my own stairs! The world's gone mad. Well I ripped it all out anyway and everything else is still working, I'm not going to line an engineers pocket for a 5 minute job.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@Bogard wrote:

How can it be openreach's property, I'm not even a customer of theres? And why would I not be allowed to touch the wires going up my own stairs! The world's gone mad. Well I ripped it all out anyway and everything else is still working, I'm not going to line an engineers pocket for a 5 minute job.

Who is the provider of your line? unless it is Virgin Cable or Kingston Communications (Hull) all other communication providers use the Openreach network. Openreach is part of the BT Group.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

You can cut the phone cable in your own home and you wont break any laws or anything like that despite what some people think, especially if the lines are dead and unused. Something to bare in mind though is that if you ever go back to BT and you have removed the phoneline and sockets, they may charge to have new cables run and a new socket fitted. However if this doesnt bother you then feel free to remove the cables in your home.

0 Ratings