cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JnL73T
Beginner
Message 1 of 27

Removing multiple BT extensions - help needed with 3 way junction

Recently move house and there are BT extension boxes everywhere! We're planning some building works so I'd like to strip most of them out and leave us with just the broadband working and one socket to plug the landline in.

This is what I think is the master socket in the kitchen. This is where the phone line enters the house (from the pole outside):

Master.JPG

Master inside.JPG

(Sorry, these are all rotated on upload tot he forum for some reason!)

In the above the black cable is the one coming from outside. The grey one goes off to the right to the next image...

3way.JPG

3way inside.JPG

The grey cable on the left is where the signal comes in from the kitchen.

On the right the smaller wire appears to go off to a daisy chain (line) of 3 extension boxes dotted around the house.

The larger cable on the right goes off to the box where my broadband is plugged in:

BB.JPG

My question is If I want to remove the daisy chain of extensions is it a simple case of carefully identifying the smaller wires that come in from the extension chain (the smaller white wire on the right below) and snipping the smaller wires that go from that  to the various clear 3 way joints/junctions in the box?

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

ANy ideas?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Removing multiple BT extensions - help needed with 3 way junction

At first glance it looks as though the incoming feed has been crimped to a pair in the grey cable rather than connected to the socket in the kitchen and the broadband socket is actually the master. It then looks as though another pair has been fed back to the socket in the kitchen from the master. A clearer picture of what wires are connected to what would help.

0 Ratings
JnL73T
Beginner
Message 3 of 27

Here is a more detailed view of the wiring in the junction box:

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

To clarify:

The Grey wire on left of the diagram goes to the kitchen which is where there is the single box is that connects to the phone wire as it enters the house (see top two pictures at the top of this thread).

BB = this goes to the double box with built in filter where I plug my router into

Chain = goes to a series of 3 single phone extensions. These are the ones I want to remove.

Question is in the junction box, can I snip all the wires that to to 'chain' so I can then strip out the single extensions dotted around the house?

0 Ratings
JnL73T
Beginner
Message 4 of 27

just to clarify here is a better picture of the box in the kitchen where the wire comes in from outside incase it helps:

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 27

Probably the best/easiest thing to do is convert the socket in the kitchen ( it's an extension socket not a master ) to become a proper 'master' socket and recover all the other sockets and wiring , re-using the recovered actual 'master' socket.

As you point out , the incoming cable pair from the exchange is on the Orange White of the 'outside' cable in the kitchen socket.

I would take the real master socket, the one next to a power socket with an interstitial plate fitted and a phone line 'doubler' , on its rear should be terminals marked A and B, this is where the cable form outside would normally terminate, so the Orange White goes to A and B ( polarity not really an issue but it's battery B earth A but will work either way around) 

You could (should) get OR to do this via whoever your CP ( communications provider ) for line rental is, but obviously its not beyond most people's DIY skills, it's only -50v DC , so you shouldn't electrocute yourself

0 Ratings
JnL73T
Beginner
Message 6 of 27

thanks. agree it would make sense to make the master where the cable comes in to the kitchen. however that socket is half way up the wall and at the wrong end of the house really as we typically use the internet att he other end where the current BB box is.

WHen we do our renovations I'll probabaly suck it up and pay BT to move the master box to somewhere more sensible.

FOr now am i safe to strip out all the wires from the junction box that feed out to the chain of extensions?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 7 of 27

Yes, if you have access to a muti meter check, there should be -50v DC across the  Orange /  White that currently go into the clear crimps in the photo, when you have everything else disconnected, you reattach the orange/white to the A and B terminals of the master socket , the socket should be 'live' again...if you have a look at the rear of the master socket, the chances are the A and B will be screw terminals , so you may not even need an IDC ( insulation displacement connection ) tool.

longer term , you could install quality 'CAT' cable to a more convenient location for a extension socket and run you router from there, or get a new lead in provided by OR to a better location 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Thanks @iniltous, I got sidetracked and forgot about this thread.

@JnL73TIf you want to leave the master socket where it is for the time being, you can just disconnect everything in the junction box except the Blue and White pair from the grey cable that are crimped to the Green/Green+white going to the BB socket. That will just leave the BB socket active for voice and broadband. You could remove the faceplate in the kitchen and fit a blanking plate if you wished. If you want to keep the kitchen socket active for voice only, leave the Blue/Blue+White pair from the BB socket crimped to the Brown/White pair in the grey cable, leave the Brown and White connected to terminals 2&5 in the kitchen socket and disconnect the wires from terminals 3&4 in the kitchen.

0 Ratings
Erflady
Beginner
Message 9 of 27

Hi, I have a similar request for help. On the advice of a BT engineer I am removing two extension boxes and just leaving the master box, now having read the previous posts and looked at the photos I realise that the master box I have doesn't look anything like the one shown.... What I really want to know is, if I just disconnect the wiring from the extension boxes will this work ? Or do I have the disconnect the wiring from the master box.  Currently I have the main phone plugged into a doubler, ASL filter ? for BB, and this is then plugged into the test socket in the master box,  if the extension phones are plugged I can only make out going calls, on incoming calls it rings once and goes dead, this is why the engineer told me to disconnect the extension boxes and get cordless phones instead. With me so far ?  Can anyone help please, answers in words of one syllable as I'm getting on in years and not very technical. Cheers.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 10 of 27

If your phone and broadband are plugged into the master socket test port, the extension wiring and sockets should be disconnected, there must be a fault on the extension wiring or extension sockets that was causing the problem on the line , and that's why the engineer disconnected them. You obviously could leave it like this , if you wanted to tidy up the installation, you should find the lower part of the master socket that has been removed to allow access to the test port has wiring connected to it, this is the extension wiring that gives to an extension socket, you could remove this wiring from the detachable lower plate, ( permenently disconnecting the extension) then reassemble the master socket etc....you could if you wanted to then recover the extension wiring and extension sockets. If the photos of the original poster on this thread, the master socket has a interstitial face plate on the front of it, that's probably why it looks different to yours, but it's the photo of a phone socket next to power sockets  
0 Ratings