cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mboursnell
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Removing the front of the master socket - broadband connection lost

I have a master socket which has two sockets on the front. The top one is for broadband and the bottom one is for the phone. When I remove the front of this master socket, (to plug the phone into the socket inside - to check for faults) what happens is that the broadband connection is lost.

Should this happen?  I don't see why it does.....

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Removing the front of the master socket - broadband connection lost

Welcome to this user forum. @mboursnell

That is normal because the main incoming line is routed via that bottom section, so removing it disconnects the internal filter.

The solution is to plug a microfilter into that "test" socket, then plug the phone and the lead to the home hub, into the microfilter, after unplugging it from the top socket.

Similar to this diagram, (just ignore the fact that the photo shows a different socket)

test_socket.jpg

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Surely not on an SSFP Keith. Only the filtered telephony is routed via the lower removable plate.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@licquorice wrote:

Surely not on an SSFP Keith. Only the filtered telephony is routed via the lower removable plate.

@licquorice No, on the SSFP the socket behind, is an extension of the test socket, which is why you can plug a microfilter into the front and get phone and broadband. Its one of the tests that is normally asked for on this forum.

There are two through connections on that faceplate, which pass the incoming line back to the enclosed PCB, which has the filter components feeding the top socket.

It does make things a bit unreliable as you have two sets of connectors.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

I'm trying to get my head around this. Surely the true test socket on the MK3 SSFP is behind the middle section, not behind the front faceplate. If what you are saying is correct, the circuit must pass through the frontplate 3 times not twice. It would have to exit as an unfiltered signal, return to the middle section unfiltered and then re-appear as filtered signal. I would have thought the unfiltered signal is applied to the data socket and data extension terminals in the middle section and then a filtered signal to the 'test' socket in the middle section. Thus all the front plate does is to disconnect extension wiring.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

The true test socket can only be accessed by removing the whole faceplate, ie both parts.

The socket appearing behind the bottom section is just a through connection of the test socket to allow customer access for testing. It just has the same electrical connection as the real test socket. You can see this on the picture posted online.

This is why you can plug a microfilter into it, and get both broadband and phone connection. If you look at some of the threads of the forum, you will see that it works.

With the bottom section replaced, the circuit continues into the PCB behind, via a separate set of contacts, where the broadband exits via the top socket and the data extension terminals, and the filtered signal is returned to the bottom faceplate for the front socket and extensions.

I agree that there are a lot of connections passing through that front connection, six pairs in all. Two in, two out, two back in again, and there have been reports where these can make a bad connection.

I do not have an SSFP, so I cannot look any closer at the wiring.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

But this picture only shows the phone connector, no extra connector on the faceplate. Ignore the coloured circles.

Image result for ssfp

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Looking at the PCB.

ssfp inside.jpg

It shows two pairs going into the circuitry. One pair in from the front plate, and another going back into the front plate.

That is on the top of the faceplate plug.

You may find that there are another set of contacts on the other side of the plug which pick up the incoming line from behind.

Its difficult to see without having one in your hand. But it looks like five connections on the back part, and only four on the PCB, so with both parts together, so some form of connection is made to the real test socket.

Perhaps another forum member has a spare one to look at?

0 Ratings
mboursnell
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that - and all the others' help.  I'm not sure if my socket is like the descriptions below (see attached picture of mine).

What are the coloured wires? I assumed they were connecting the broadband to the top socket.... but if the broadband cuts out when the front is off that doesn't seem to be true.

Mike

Mike's BT socket 1

Mike's BT socket opened

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Not sure what that one is, but plug a microfilter into that test socket, and then plug the home hub and phone int the microfilter.

The broadband would cut off when you remove it, which is why you have to remove it from the top socket, and plug it into the microfilter instead.

0 Ratings