Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Renaming SSID

Go to solution

I read that changing the name of my BT HH5 SSID would help prevent malicious access. This was because people could see the default name BT HH5 ***** and know what the default settings and passwords are.  (Subsequent advice seems to be that this change of broadcast SSID is futile since any expert will find a way in.)

However, I DID change the name of my Hub but now BOTH the old name and the new name appear on available networks when I use my iPad. My iPad can also connect to either name!

Is there some way round this?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Renaming SSID

Go to solution

There's 2 radio frequencies being broadcast from your HH5, 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. By default they're named the same - actually you have to manually select a setting to separate them if I remember correctly. You may need to update the SSID for both.

HH5wireless.jpg

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@dog22 wrote:

I read that changing the name of my BT HH5 SSID would help prevent malicious access. This was because people could see the default name BT HH5 ***** and know what the default settings and passwords are.  (Subsequent advice seems to be that this change of broadcast SSID is futile since any expert will find a way in.)

However, I DID change the name of my Hub but now BOTH the old name and the new name appear on available networks when I use my iPad. My iPad can also connect to either name!

Is there some way round this?

There are no default passwords for the HH wireless, each has a unique key. Changing the SSID is pointless as a security measure but is useful to identify whether connected to 5G or 2.4G signal. Some devices don't like the 2 signals having the same SSID anyway.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Many thanks.  I did change the SSID for both frequencies when I renamed the hub and checked the box to use the same SSID. Both frequencies seem to work OK.

However, I might as well change the name back to the original then?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, Clarence.  I did change the name on both frequencies.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@dog22 wrote:

Many thanks.  I did change the SSID for both frequencies when I renamed the hub and checked the box to use the same SSID. Both frequencies seem to work OK.

However, I might as well change the name back to the original then?

I would split the frequencies and give each a different SSID

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Once you have done renaming, best to delete the networks from your devices and then let them be re-discovered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Many thanks

0 Ratings