cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leesa_fairy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Renew now even though Renewal is Sept 2018 ?

So I've had an email through asking me to renew my contract that expires September 2018, or my BT Broadband will go up £2.50 a month from January. I'm so confused as to why, I'm happy at the price I'm paying anf literally cannot afford a penny more as were stretched and this is coming right after christmas.

The email state were having our cloud storage doubled?!?! We don't use this, don't need this, don't even know what it is!

Apparently our speed is being boosted too, well I had another email stating the same thing last month and I've seen no improvement or change so really I feel this doesn't benefit me either.

What do I need to do, I can't afford another £2.50 a month price hike, and I don't understand why I would want to renew now when there is still 9+ months on my contract.

Really need help, this is totally what I did not need right before Christmas!

Thank you, a very stressed out Lisa

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Renew now even though Renewal is Sept 2018 ?

Aren't they offering the choice between:

1. 1. Renew now at a higher price & keep the price fixed for 18 months.
  2. 2. Don't renew now & the price could change anytime during the contract incl. in Jan.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

whatever you do your price will increase whether now or January 

your third choice is leave and move to another ISP and there will be no cancellation charges if move within 30 days of email advising increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 4 of 7

I've had the same email today. Though my contract ends in June. It's not worth me renewing my contract right now to save £2.50 a month for 6 months. A saving of £15 isn't worth me bothering. As the following 6 months of the contract would cost me over £100 but I would be in contract until January 2019 and not able to negotiate. 

So I'll pay the extra £15 until June then negotiate a better deal then. I think that's the best way to go... 

0 Ratings
leesa_fairy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Ahh thanks everyone I understand it now!

Just need to talk it over with my OH.

If I don't renew it will be £31.49 (£2.50 increase) until September 2018 or if I renew it will another 18 month contract at £28.99 a month until August 2020, which is what I currently pay.

I read on Martin Lewis that to get the best deals you can pay your line rental up front for the 18 months, then if in April when prices go up you aren't affected. Has anyone done this? When we originally took out the contract I tried to do this but no one at the Indian call centre understood what I was on about and I had to abandon the idea.

0 Ratings
allanraymond
Expert
Message 6 of 7

I didn't realise you can pay line rental up front for 18 months, the normal period is 12 months which means you pay for 11 months in one lump sum but get 12 months period.

I'm fairly certain if the line rental goes up during the period of the line rental contact this wont be passed on to you.

However any price rise as part of a bundle i.e. Broadband and Calls will be passed on.

0 Ratings
leesa_fairy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Okay brilliant all food for thought! I need to check on the line rental up front part I'm just sure I've read it on Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert somewhere, if I find the article I'll post a link up here

0 Ratings