Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Renewal of current contract time !

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help.  We are currently on infinity 1 with free TV offer (£5 discount), and free evening and weekend phone calls, and currenlty pay about £21 a month + line rental.  We have a Home hub 3 and Humax youview box.

When I phoned the options team, the deal he said I could get if I take out a new contract was the following (monthly costs):

£17 Broadband (40gb download limit)

£5 for 6 months then £7 for 6 months for TV entertainment (extra 20 channels)

£2 to get free evening calls

No new youview box

No new Home hub (unless I paid £18 a month for broadband, £2 more than the advertised price for broadband)

So a total of £24 a month for 6 months then going up to £26 for the remaining 6 months.

The standard charge for TV Entertainment + is £23 a month, so when you add on £2 for evening calls I am getting a whopping £1 discount over the standard charge.  No half price for six months, no Sainsbury voucher, no new HH5, no new G4 youview box.

Has anyone else got a good deal from the options team recently?  Do I need to go back and try to negotiate harder with them?

I'd like to stay with BT, but do not want to pay more than I am paying now and if means losing the TV then so be it.

Any help appreciated

Steve

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Renewal of current contract time !

deals appear hard to come by when on fibre and you get about standard price whereas renewing an adsl contract gives a better deal/discount than new customers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yes, it seems that way.  When I re-contracted from ADSL to infinity I got TV essentials free for 18 months.   Now it seems to have to pay more that the current advertised prices for new customers.

£18 for broadband with 40gb limit - If you look at the broadband price for new customers it is £16 unlimited !

I thought the customer options team could offer the best discounts......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

They are less inclined to haggle if you're on Infinity.  The other ISPs have dirt cheap prices for ordinary ADSL, but with a large price step for fibre.  At BT, their ADSL is over-priced, but the fibre is less of a price increase.

They know most customers won't want to downgrade to ADSL, and the competition aren't such a bargain on fibre.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

hi yes have given up with BTTV its terrible choice of films and don't care attitude i just found out when i took out the bttv contract they renewed my BT infinity contract at the same time not something i was aware of that could be done legally i would have preferred a rolling infinity contract which i can cancel but it now expires next year !! something i cannot afford to cancel at this moment i am checking with 'which ' legal to see if they can do this without asking first as i can cancel the bttv for £17.50 and go back to sky for 1/2 price 12 month contract very sneaky

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

If you don't want to renew the contract you don't need to. You can stay on what you have but you will loose any discounts you have. If aren't fussy about the TV just tell them you want to stop that part of it.

You could also ask them for a MAC code because you want to leave. They may then give you a better deal. Even if you get the MAC code you do not need to use it if you decide to stay.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

thanks just very angry put a lot of time and effort to join BTTV, having complained to exec level, got me setup, but then complained lack of bt films and pathetic selection of sc-fi films they show 2 films, and costing of box office films that are cheaper in stores but not a thing changed bt show a box office to pay for that is free on sky movies seems they just don't care no-wonder its rated at the lowest for pay-for tv service in the UK so shall be leaving asap
0 Ratings