cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

Repairs To Home Wiring Not Fixing Fault - Am I Still Liable For Charge?

Expecting BT engineer on Wednesday morning regarding continual drop in IP profile. My question is regarding the possible charge (£129.99) that could be levied if the fault lies with our home wiring.

I am dealing with this matter for my mother and want to be absolutely certain of her rights in the matter.

I was told by a 'level 2 technician' that NO charge would be payable if the fault was found to be on BT's side, or if NO fault was found full stop - correct?  However, if the fault was on ours then of course the charge applies. Fair enough so far.

But what if the engineer identifies the problem to be with our internal wiring and we subsequently find it doesn't fix the problem? As we are all too well aware DLM can take forever to do its job and so therefore it could be sometime before we know for sure its fixed and the IP profile returns to the level it should be.

If it doesn't solve the problem how will she go about being refunded or what rights of redress will she have?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Repairs To Home Wiring Not Fixing Fault - Am I Still Liable For Charge?

this may help  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your reply but my main concern is if any fault is identified on our side subsequently proves to have not actually fixed the fault.

What redress would be available to us? Refund?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 10

You should know the fault is fixed before the engineer leaves. Make sure he requests a DLM reset.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

'You should know the fault is fixed before the engineer leaves. Make sure he requests a DLM reset.'

The engineer will only do a DLM reset if a fault on the Openreach network is identified and cleared.

They don't do it at customers request.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

If no fault is found you will be charged an abortive call out.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

That is not what BT told me this morning 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

'If no fault is found you will be charged an abortive call out.'

It depends on what type of engineering visit he has.

There are 3 types, FTTC Fault, Superfast Assurance Visit and the FTTC Broadband Boost......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Yes you will get charged if it is a fault to your wiring. My mate had ADSL fine for years, but when he moved to Infinity, had no end of problems, not connecting, connecting and dropping etc.

OpenReach installer bod (not and engineer as he had no engineering qualifications) traced issue to a surpluss run of wire from where cable came into house, running to loft and nothing connected to it in loft. Looks like it was a left over run of wire for when incoming cable was attached to roof before the cable was moved.

Isolating this length of cable, in back of master socket and Infinity now runs 24/7 @ 70Mbs.

However, the OR installer admitted that the original installer should have spotted this erroneous wiring at initial install and disconnected it.

Bit later a charge of £130 odd appeared on my mates phone bill Smiley Mad due to OR call out for fix wiring in customers premisis.

Tooks weeks of sorting to get it refunded.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

'OpenReach installer bod (not and engineer as he had no engineering qualifications)'

Didn't you know, since the invention of broadband every man and his dog is suddenly a qualified telecoms engineer. Shame the creation of broadband hasn't given everyone 'AN' English Literature qualification as well though.
0 Ratings