cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Repeated problems, compensation in order?

I've decided to come to the community forums to get an opinion on this, whether you believe the information I post below is up to each individual who reads this, but I'll start from the beginning.

My household has had BT Broadband for as long as I can remember, back when I was a child not even going into my early teens and we never experienced issues which were that noticeable, after all back then we had one computer in the house and we all shared our time on it doing trivial things like browsing the web to play flash games and such.

However, as myself and my older brother got older we became more interested and indulged in the use of the Internet and were given our own laptops, along with my mother and father plus several other mobile devices all connected to our Internet.

For several years we have had to put up with the frustration of disgustingly low speeds, when I was recently on the phone of the customer support I was told that our package allowed for 10 megabyte download and half a megabyte upload, I mean... Really? I can hardly put on a webcam on Skype for more than twenty seconds before it looks like watching the original Doom game at 1 FPS.

Going back to the download speed however, we don't even get ten megabytes of download usage. I disconnected every other device in my home and left my desktop PC hooked up to my router via Ethernet (before I get it suggested for the one thousandth time) and done a speed test using both the BT speed checker and speedtest (dot) net.

Both yielded the exact same results on a good day:

10.-- (last two digits never static, of course) MB Download

0.86 - 0.94 MB Upload

Though I'm displeased to report this is false. I decided to open Steam, a game retail software which allows you to digitally download games (for those who don't know) - the company have several servers which do not hold the fault of my speed. I download games at a speed of 1.06 MB Download.

If I am not wrong, the BT Speed Test explains that the speed coming from the exchange to my home is true and the speed that I get at my computer is also apparently true. So just now I decided to do a quick speed test using the Diagnostic page of the BT website:

Speed coming into home: 10.11 MB Download

Upload Speed: Not Displaying

Speed you get at your computer: 7.56 MB Download

Upload Speed: 0.79 MB Upload

This is with every other device in the home turned off and no other application on my computer using up the bandwidth.

We have unfortunately dealt with these issues for what is now Two to Three years and called the support team at BT countless times, which I am very aware they have on record. We have had three to four engineers sent out to our home who each fiddled around with the main telephone line and successfully achieved nothing and told us that the issues would resolve in the next two days while the speed and connectivity would fluctuate.

Just two days ago I spent forty minutes on the phone with an advisor who while was helpful, kind and a good example of how other advisors should be on the phone, achieved nothing in helping me with my issue and bumped me up to team two of the tech support.

I finished on the phone yesterday evening, maybe fourteen hours ago now with the team two Tech support advisor. So another forty minutes on the phone of removing the frontplate of my telephone socket which I've done countless times to plug my filter directly into the test socket to be told to observe the connection for another two days.

Well, I've done a speedtest maybe every hour from then on and the speed has yet to change and the results of the speed tests are only dropping, slowly, but dropping.

I've inquired heavily into when fiber optic would be available in my area and recently it has become available! So twenty minutes or so spent on the phone speaking to an advisor about the pricing of fiber optic to then realise I would be charged a significant amount for an 'upgrade' in service that I don't even know will fully resolve the issues I'm facing to this day.

You would think after two or three years of phoning every month to try and resolve an issue for me and my family who actually enjoy spending time on the Internet, myself and my older brother are both avid gamers in our own respect and enjoy online competitive playing which is often interrupted with spikes reaching 240 Ping and our connection dropping almost every two hours or so.

I struggle to spend time gaming with my girlfriend, especially where we play games dependant on both users remaining connected so the game wont end and lose our progress entirely and it has become an issue for the both of us enjoying long periods of time finishing games together. Even screen sharing on skype is an issue for me where the view of my desktop to her is completely pixelated and just horribly low when I'm playing through a game such as Mass Effect, single player.

Essentially, I've come to gather the opinions of other users on these forums regarding if compensation in the form of an upgrade to fiber optic would be in order; myself and my family are going to come to the point where we are just so frustrated with these issues that seeking another service provider and advising our friends in our town to do the same.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for reading; I apologise in advance if this topic is in the wrong section, but it seemed appropriate.

Just to give you all a taste of my 'misfortune': http://www.speedtest.net/result/2634303694.png - And even then, I get lower than those results.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Repeated problems, compensation in order?

the speeds you are quoting are faster than many posters on the forum therefore I think it is highly unlikely you are due any compensation - even cheaper fibre.

if you want the forum members who are customers just like you to try and help improve your conenction then post your adsl stats from your router and also run the btspeedtester diagnostic test and post the results.  this information will help you should you need mods assistance as they are only BT employees on the forum.  your posts do not go to BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

The speed I'm quoting I don't reach nor exceed. As shown with my link at the bottom 3 Mb Download is roughly what most others are reporting, so no, I'm not getting anything faster than other posters; makes it sound like a competition for who has the worst net on the go.

I've posted in the past to the forums goers to give me aid with the issue and despite the most helpful responses I've ever had, no gain in the attempts. I'm not exactly in the 'mood' - if you will - to sit and go through many 'possible' fixes which I've done several times and had no happy results from, I apologise.

I'm only seeking opinions, not another day of sitting disconnected and reconnecting my net; on the other hand I'm being asked to observe my connection for the... however many time this is I've plugged into the test socket and observed.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2634303694.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

without information I cannot see how the forum can help or even give a reasoned opinion as there are no details to show the problem.  if your router is reporting 10mb connection then it sounds like an internal problem that download shown by speedtest is on 3.42mb

if you read the forum there are many people where conenction speed is far lower than yours - this was not for camparison but to show that your speed is still classified broadband

if you have posted on the forum before then you must have posted under a different login name

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

In fairness, I'm sure many would aruge that anything out of 3MB range of what they are promised by their broadband plan is not classified at broadband, otherwise everyone on my current plan would be victim to 3MB. So many factors come into play as to what can slow down broadband, but losing 7Mb when paying for 10 is a bit of a joke.

As I said before, I don't plan on posting information if I've been on the phone for the past three days with advisors, nothing that hasn't already been said is going to surface in replies.

I'm quite sure I did.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Whatever package you are on is always an "upto" speed, briefly looking at your results the speed you are getting could be a lot worst.

BT do not pay you compensation for something that you are getting.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

your sign in name only shows 3 posts and all on this subject.

as you are not posting stats but looking for thoughts/opinions I have moved this post from this board

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

no point in trying to help this poster as they are not prepared to help them selves and then just rant
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 13

@imjolly wrote:

your sign in name only shows 3 posts and all on this subject.

as you are not posting stats but looking for thoughts/opinions I have moved this post from this board

But Broadband has only been generally available for the past 10 years, or so.

The original Post is more suitable for a Students Union debating society.

I thought that the compensation culture was "old hat" by now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

People are bound to loose temper and rant it goes hand in hand with bad customer support ,its no good blaming the poster its customer support that wants the rocket .if you caught someone stealing the wheels of your cars would you reward them and invite them to your birthday parties NO .so why acuse someone of ranting .

0 Ratings