Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gterry
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Repeated slowing down of BB speeds requiring hub reboot

Go to solution

Hello there,

Hoping someone can help. This is a problem that comes and goes (since April 2011) and we've never got to the bottom of. Our BB speed is slow anyway - we are in remote area about 7 miles from exchange. The main problem isn't the speed but that the speed frequently slows down until web pages can't be loaded, and the only solution is to reboot the hub, after which miraculously the speed is back up to normal for a while. On bad days we have to reboot the hub several times. It makes no difference if we connect by ethernet, or use the test socket. We have even obtained a new hub (Hub 3) and this has made no difference.

We did try here for help a year ago, and I think one of the Mods did reset something that seemed to work for a while. Now the problem is back with a vengeance.

One difficulty is that we cannot do a speed test once the speed has slowed right down, and when we reset the hub then the speed test doesn't reveal the problem.

Anyway, I have gathered the ADSL stats and done a speedtest and the data is below. Hoping someone can suggest something.

Thanks for your time.

Home Hub 3

Connected by ethernet to hub. Using test socket at back of master socket. Master socket has a face plate filter

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information

Line state:

Connectedppp0_0

Connection time:

0 days, 03:41:32

Downstream:

1.906 Mbps

Upstream:

352 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI:

0/38

Type:

PPPoA

Modulation:

G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type:

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up):

6.4 dB / 6.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):

66.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up):

17.5 dBm / 12.5 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up):

30144 / 1

CRC Events (Down/Up):

49 / 2

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up):

229 / 3

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

37 / 2

Hide details

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.1 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1.95 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.35 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.25 Mbps

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Repeated slowing down of BB speeds requiring hub reboot

Go to solution
There is nothing apparently wrong with your connection it is in fact above average for your line length
0 Ratings
gterry
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks,

That was the response I expected. But you are seeing the stats not long after a hub reboot. I wish I could show you stats when the BB speed has fallen away, but once this has happened I cannot run the speed test. So, we're a bit stuck, aren't we?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
there is noting that can be reset as everything is at the correct setting the only thing that is slightly low is your IP Profile if left 3/5 days with no hub restarts should rise slightly automatically
0 Ratings
gterry
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks.

I am now wondering if the problem I have has to do with multiple WiFi connections. We have ethernet upstairs and WiFi downstairs, two laptops plus one android tablet. So, the laptops can be switching between ethernet and WiFi depending where they are in the house, and the tablet apparently makes two WiFi connections when it's switched on.

This afternoon we had one laptop with a fast enough WiFi connection, whilst the other identical laptop just a couple of metres away ground to a halt. Later the opposite occurred: the first laptop internet slowed to unusable whilst the second one was OK. There are plenty of times, though, when the speed of both laptops is affected at the same time.

That behaviour does seem to rule out the BB connection - but not necessarily the hub. This is the second HH 3A we have tried. I wonder if we might be better with a HH 2 ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
With your speed you are going to have problems using multiple devices
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@gterry wrote:

Thanks.

That behaviour does seem to rule out the BB connection - but not necessarily the hub. This is the second HH 3A we have tried. I wonder if we might be better with a HH 2 ?

All of the home hubs suffer from wireless issues, as they are trying to cope with too many tasks.

A separate wireless access point is the answer, and is what I use. It leaves the home hub to handle the broadband, without having to deal with wireless as well.

These links should give you some ideas.

Wireless connection problems

Network connection problems and possible solutions

gterry
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks. At least we know where the problem lies now.

I've read the links - many thanks for these- but I'm still a little unsure of how to proceed.

I have a spare HH3a. If I plug this into the first (master) HH3a, using the instructions in the links, how is the problem with multiple wireless connections solved? Do I use the master HH3 for ADSL and ethernet connections only, and use the slave HH3 for all the wireless connections, or do I try to split the wireless connections across the two hubs? Or would it be better to switch off wireless altogether in the master hub?

Our problem is not with the range of the wireless, or with getting devices to connect, just with BB speed slowing to a crawl or seizing up altogether when more than one wireless connection is made.

Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

If you use the slave hub for wireless, and leave the master to handle the ADSL and any Ethernet connections, you should see an improvement.

If you have an occasional device, like a phone, which needs wireless at the location of the master hub, then that should be fine.

Try to keep the master and slave hubs away from each other, to avoid the wireless being overloaded with strong signals.

gterry
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Many thanks.

One last question: The info in the links provided earlier suggests setting different SSIDs for the two hubs, but the same wireless password. To avoid accidentally connecting to the master hub rather than the slave would it be OK to set a different wireless password for the slave hub?

Thanks foryour time.

0 Ratings