cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeclough
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Replace Home Hub 4 with Netgear DGN2000?

Go to solution

I recently switched to BT Broadband from NewNet and replaced the Netgear DGN2000 ADSL wi-fi router that I had been using with the Home Hub 4 supplied by BT.

I am finding that the wi-fi coverage provided by the Home Hub 4 is not as extensive as that provided by the DGN2000.

Can I replace the Home Hub 4 with the Netgear DGN2000 and, if so, what username and password would be required to access BT?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Replace Home Hub 4 with Netgear DGN2000?

Go to solution

You can replace the HH4 if you wish. The username needed is bthomehub@btbroadband.com only use a pass word if the router asks for one. If it does you can use any password you want, they all work.

The only problem will come if you have a problem with your broadband BT will not assist if you don not have a homehub fitted so keep your HH4 to replace your own router in that eventuality.

mikeclough
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your quick reply!

I tried connecting using the Netgear router and the username you suggested, but unfortunately the router did not connect to BT. I'm guessing there are some other router settings that need to be modified.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I would suggest that you start by resetting the Netgear to factory default, to remove any existing configurations. Then start again via the setup wizard, if there is one.

You normally need to enter a password in the second field, use a password of BT.

Encapsulation: PPPoA (PPP over ATM)

Multiplexing Method: VC-BASED
VPI: 0
VCI: 38

Normally if it fails to authenticate, you are automatically directed to a BT Wholesale website.

I am assuming that you are still on an ADSL connection, and not BT Infinity with the Openreach modem?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

The Netgear will have better range, as it has two external aerials, instead of internal ones, etched into the circuit board.

0 Ratings
mikeclough
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I'm posting a belated 'thank you' for the help I have been given here. I have now successfully replaced the recently-installed BT Home Hub 4 with my old Netgear DGN2000 ADSL router. What a difference it has made! No more dropped connections and full wireless coverage all over the house.

0 Ratings