Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 17

Replacement Router - Specific requirements

Hi

I need a replacement for the HH3, there are several reasons for wanting to swap..

My Samsung Galaxy S3 drops the wireless every few minutes.

I need working Port Forwarding and I'd also like a router that supports VPN Termination..

Any suggestions ?

I've been looking at the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N

Anyone any comments or suggestions regarding this or any other router ?

Thanks 😄

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Replacement Router - Specific requirements

Have you looked at the Asus RT-N66? It is around £100 and has all the features you require.

It is also based on an open source firmware so there is plenty of support unlike the HH3 which can take an age for firmware to be written and tested etc.

There is also this model but with 802.11 AC wifi for future proofing but it is much more expensive.

I don't know anything about the Buffalo but there is no mention of built-in VPN and there is no 5ghz wifi.

0 Ratings
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the reply.

Any other options that may be a little cheaper ?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 17

There's a thread HERE that lists routers successfully replacing the HH3.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 17

For cheap and with VPN endpoint I would look for something that can run OpenWRT/Tomato.
0 Ratings
Johnson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

MadPanther wrote

My Samsung Galaxy S3 drops the wireless every few minutes.

I need working Port Forwarding and I'd also like a router that supports VPN Termination.

It's an absolute joke isn't it.  Both of those things are very basic requirements for any router - they're not even extras.  Unless something special happens, this is the last dealing I have with BT.

0 Ratings
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

The VPN I can live with out, but the S3 not working on the wifi is crazy !

Maybe the next firmware for the S3 will help ! ?

0 Ratings
Johnson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

The problem is with the hub itself and not your phone.  Have you tried connecting to any other wireless networks with it?  I think if you try that, you'll find the S3 will work as intended.

As for buying another router, If I were you, I'd buy one a few weeks into January.  The reason being that if the firmware update for the HH3 really does solve the problem, you'll still have time to return a router if you decide to buy one, and if the fix doesn't work, you can carry on using whichever router you decide to buy.  That way you also get to take advantage of any January sales, too.

Remember, you shouldn't be out-of-pocket because BT are skimping on router costs.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 9 of 17

A lot of people seem to have wifi problems but I have found it to be reliable.

No worse than my previous Draytek which was very reliable.

Do you have a type A or B?

For reliability you should chosse B/G/N with WPA2 only.

0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 17

Its not just the HH that has problems with Samsung Android phones, though S3 seem most prevailent. Happens with Draytek 2750 as well and certain Android phones. The wireless dropping issue, I have found is due to the S3 (and other Android phones) consuming all the DHCP leases. It is something to do with wireless dropping and getting a new DHCP address. Eventually router runs out of DHCP addresses and phone looses wireless connection.  All other wireless devices appear OK.

Solution is to get a better phone (iPhone no problem) and/or on HH (and other routers) set the "Always use this IP address" in Home Network -> Devices for the S3. Can't remember the Drayek 2750 setting, but similar. Can also reduce the lease time on 2750 to stop visitors with Android phones taking all the DHCP leases.

Its is only certain makes and certain manufacturers Android phones do this. Once sorted phones connect 100% of the time and don't ruin the wireless network for other users.

0 Ratings