Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnyfartpants
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Replacing BT Homehub 5 with dedicated router firewall

Hi

would it be possible to use this Edge Router Lite and still use my BT Homehub as a WiFi broadcaster. I would like to secure all of my devices on my wifi network. So my idea would be to have this router/firewall connected to my telephone/infinity and then use the BT HomeHub to broadcast the internet over wifi?

Can i just pop the BT Homehub into one of the 3 lan ports and forward the traffic through this router and then through the wifi from the homehub??

Any help would be great

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Replacing BT Homehub 5 with dedicated router firewall

Completely possible. I use the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (ERX) and have all the things the BT Hub gives including IPv6, BT TV via YouView etc., and others that the Hub doesn't offer such as a 'head end' VPN server.

For a time I had both a Hub 5 and a Hub 6 connected to the ERX which offered both additional switch ports and acted as WiFi Access Points. If you're thinking of the same and have BT TV, then don't connect the YouView box to the Hub. As the Hub is still configured as a 'router' it doesn't forward the IGMP join from the YouView box and so breaks the IP TV channels that are multicast. I got around that by putting in a cheap Netgear switch (GS108E) with the Hub on one port and the YouView on another.

One thing to be mindful of with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter is that there are things that can't be done through the GUI, IPv6 for example, so it helps if you're comfortable on a command line.

There's actually a post on the Ubiquiti forum, So you want to replace a BT Homehub?, that goes through the required steps when using the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite. It doesn't cover IPv6, but ask over at the Ubiquiti forum or on here and I can provide details if you need them.

Regards

0 Ratings
jonnyfartpants
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Excellent ill have a look at that post now

Many Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
jonnyfartpants
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Right well I am still not sure how i use BT Humehubs wifi as these instruction do not mention the use of the homehubs wifi as part of the set up

I do have BT TV and the youview box and the post mentions somthing about multicast and wifi not getting along

Also I have a very good vpn service so would like to be able to permantly connect all devices through this vpn and also be able to swap to different vpn servers from the 500 that I have to choose from

Cheers

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

The post over at UBNT shows how to use the ERL to replace the router part of the Hub. You'll obviously need a separate modem, which I assume you already have.

If you've setup the ERL as per the UBNT post with 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway and running the DHCP server, then to use the Hub as an AP:

- Connect a LAN (yellow) port on the Hub to a port on the ERL via an Ethernet cable

- Connect to the Hub (by default http://192.168.1.254) and then disable the DHCP server on the Hub

The Hub will continue to broadcast the same SSID as it is already configured with, although it will no longer broadcast the BT WiFi-X or BT WiFi-FON SSID. When a client connects to the SSID, it will be given an IP address by the DHCP server on the ERL, and so use .1 as the gateway.

As for multicast and WiFi not playing well together, from the UBNT post "Multicast and WiFi, they really don't mix very well. If you're planning on having a wireless access point connected to the downstream switch, it's worth getting one with IGMP snooping so you don't send all of your multicast traffic out of the wifi."

This is another reason why I eventually put the Netgear switch in place. The GS105E/108E support IGMP snooping and so the multicast traffic is only sent on the port with the YouView and not on the port with the Hub.

Regards

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@jonnyfartpants wrote:

Also I have a very good vpn service so would like to be able to permantly connect all devices through this vpn and also be able to swap to different vpn servers from the 500 that I have to choose from

Cheers

Should also have mentioned.... get the Hub as an AP working using this forum, but for help on configuring the ERL with VPN etc., you should post on the UBNT forum.

Regards

0 Ratings