Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamespeterpayne
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Replacing HH3 and Router and General Advice please

Hi all,

I have ordered Infinity and am a little worried prior to my installation. I currently have Virgin Media 100mb (with the awful superhub) and have been pretty annoyed with the latency and inability to stream 720p youtube videos without constant buffering. So much so I have decided to leave.

I was torn between a few providers for FTTC but as Inifinty was only activated in my area a matter of weeks ago it seemed a logical suggestion. First question, do you guys find inifity good for streaming youtube videos and is your latecy acceptable? 

Now I require a router with a good port fowarding configuration as I reply on access to my NAS severs remotely and often stream to mobile devices out of the home, as well as access my IP cameras. I'm aware the HH3 isn't really upto the task as I do alot of gaming and a consistent open NAT is crucial too.

It would be nice to replace the modem aswell as the router to save on wiring and power sockets but seems I have only one option for that, the Draytek Vigor 2850VN. 

One other router that is very temtpting is the Netgear R6300, obviosuly I would have to keep the Openreach modem but I like the option to run simulatanious dual band as my Iphone 5 and macbook can connect on 5GHz but my wifes iPhone 4s can not, meaning my current superhub has to remain in 2.4GHz just for that.

If I purchase either of these routers, am I able to give it the engineer to setup or should I just do it myself once he has gone?

Any advice or opinions on my options are greatly apprecaited and a little assurance that I'll be happy with the product (specifically for gaming) would be great.

Thanks guys (and gals) 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
sjtp
Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Replacing HH3 and Router and General Advice please

First question, do you guys find inifity good for streaming youtube videos and is your latecy acceptable?  I've not had problems with videos; you will see people on this forum who have.  My 29ms latency to BBC is fine for me (not a gamer); but higher than I had on BE (11 non-interleaved, 19 interleaved) .  The main reasons for the fairly high value are interleaving (around 8/9ms extra) and silly BT routing (around 9/10ms extra).  Quite a few Infinity users get pings around 6ms, but others complain of 60ms or more.

Draytek Vigor 2850VN.   Also a FritzBox single box option I understand.

Should I just do it myself once he has gone?  Probably, yes.  Or you could get a router all ready with pppoe information programmed in and connected to a computer, so it just needed plugging into the modem while the installer is still with you.

0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Replacing HH3 and Router and General Advice please

do you guys find inifity good for streaming youtube videos and is your latecy acceptable?   Yes - I've had zero issues on netflix, lovefilm, youtube, iplayer, 4OD....often with my son and i watching differnet things at same time.

My son games a bit - usually truly awful games like COD or Battlefield with no issues.

I now use Apple Time Machine. - brilliant performance and dual channel

Should I just do it myself once he has gone?  you certainly can if you wish - but hold onto the HH3 as if you ever need an engineer you'll need to fix it back in.

0 Ratings