Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonHipsey
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Replacing new Smart Hub with a Netgear Nighthawk R700

Afternoon All,

I suppose this question is really aimed at anyone using a Nighthawk R700 currently with infinity.

Since getting the Smart Hub i have been really let down with UPnP support, creates me no end of drama with multiple gaming consoles and restricted Nats- Yes I know there are various things i can try, DMZ, forcing the nat open on the xbox one ect but none of them truly sort the problem for a variety of reasons. 

I have been reading up on the Nighthawk quite a bit and should give me the capacity to tweak things a bit more and hopefully put me in a better place. 

The one concern question I have is around WIFI Range/Speed. Can anyone who has used both let me know how the Nighthawk stacks up with the new Smart Hub in the real world?

The one thign I was impressed with the Smart Hub was the range/speed, especially on 5ghz.

Thank you kindly in advance. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Replacing new Smart Hub with a Netgear Nighthawk R700

The R7000 is ok but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. It should out peform the Smart Hub easily, the range was better for me when I had one. Personally I wouid go for a cheap wired router and couple it with a UniFi AC LR. UniFi also do a cheap router but it can be difficult to setup if your not experienced in networking.

0 Ratings
SimonHipsey
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Cheers. Appreciate the input. For simplicity I'm looking for a router with a built in modem. Saw a lot of positive about the nIghthawk. ( I meant the D7000 in my original post) did see it came out some time ago. Basically all I'm looking for is the range and speed to match the smart hub and multi bands. I tend to run just 5ghz spectrum just on my Xbox and pc in my office which are the furthers away from the router and most important speed wise. 2.4ghz on all other devices in the house. That and good UPnP support.

Did note the D7000 came out some time ago.

Any other alternatives are greatly appreciated.
0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

The D7000 suffers from bufferbloat so I would avoid that one, it will be terrible for gaming. Just google it and you will see all the complaints on the Netgear forum.

The TP-Link VR2600 is probably a better choice for an all in one.

0 Ratings
andyhudson1979
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I have a netgear nighthawk d7000. To be honest I don't think the wifi range is any better than the HH5. I get the occasional WiFi drop out a couple of times a week but nothing major. I don't do gaming so can't comment on its performance for that, but do work from home. It's been connected since late July with no disconnects or drop outs.
0 Ratings