cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Replacing old-style master sockey with NTE5

I have an old-style (circa 1995) master socket which is getting very worn out, putting noise on my line and apparently causing DSL dropouts. I'd like to bring it into the 21st century and get an NTE5.

Now, I currently don't have a job and the £144 I've been told this task would incur is what I have to live on for about a week and a half. It would pain me to pay that amount of money for something I could get for a fiver online and probably be perfectly capable of fitting. But, I'm told I musn't touch these things or some day BT will throw the book at me.

Someone suggested an intermediate solution might be to get a freelance ex-BT engineer to fit it. But is *he* allowed to? Is there some kind of installation database that the new socket would then not be registered in, effectively voiding my right to get line faults fixed? Or if it was perfectly fitted would everyone just live happily ever after?

Can someone please explain my options and the precise implications of getting it wrong.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Replacing old-style master sockey with NTE5

there is no central data base that holds that detail and I'm sure no engineer would even know assuming a BT socket was used whether it was the home owner, ex engineer, electrician or openreach engineer had fitted the NTE5 as long as correctly fitted

I can't encourage you to change the socket on this forum but the choice is yours how you change it - just remember if you try and get it wrong and need openreach engineer that cost may be even greater the £144 you quoted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

It's not illegal to tamper with the master socket but it is against BT's term & conditions, so the most they would throw at you is a fat bill. Be careful about DIY though as you need a 30-bob tool and a screwdriver competency certificate.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

the NTE is the responsibility of BT to replace if it's faulty so unless you've damaged it then there shouldn't be a charge to replace it.....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

If there is nothing wrong with your existing master socket apart from it's old and your phone works ok then getting an engineer to fit an nte5 could be classed upgrade and you get charged £129.99. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I would rate them but the white star doesn't seem to be working here. Noise on the line, due to the actual socket having become loose over time, is causing frequent DSL dropouts and difficulty in reconnecting. Would this count as it the socket unit being end-of-life and qualiify for a replacement?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

The OP says the master is causing the line to be noisy, although I'm unsure how he can be sure it's the socket unless he's removed it and clipped a phone directly onto the lead in pair???
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Because it's possible to vary - or lose if you're lucky - the noise by gently wiggling the phone jack around. I've tried it with an assortment of splitters which to my (admittedly uneducated in this respect) mind suggests the socket is wearing out.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

If your phone line is noisey hiss/crackle when making a call - try quiet line test- then report a phone fault to 151 and engineer will probably   replace the socket if that is causing the problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@imjolly wrote:

If your phone line is noisey hiss/crackle when making a call - try quiet line test- then report a phone fault to 151 and engineer will probably   replace the socket if that is causing the problem

I have a similar problem though my line (https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Internal-wiring-fault-and-bt-visit/td-p/1388459) is fine on the test socket so I suspect they will want to charge.

0 Ratings