cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Reporting Fraud

Hello,

I would like to know how I go about reporting someone to bt who is in the process of setting up an account with BT who has had multiple accounts with them and pretty much every other telephone company in the uk and has failed to pay any of them.

Some information. This person is my sisters boyfriend who has  along history of fraud.

10 REPLIES 10
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Reporting Fraud

You can't report fraud on someone taking an account in their own name - if he's failed a credit check then BT will ask him for a deposit.

Don't worry about it 🙂
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

And a long history of telling tall tales by the sound of it, its not that easy to set up an account without proof of ID, companies like BT find it a simple matter to check credit histories, if its a new address, they will want your previous address + bank details etc.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

How do I report when someone is trying to use my details to get a telephone line and broadband without my consent/knowledge

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

if you have proof then I would suggest contacting the police

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for prompt reply

Yes I do have proof as I have all emails from BT, Business Account details in my name, appointment date and time in my name, broadband number and installtion address in my name, though BT confirmed this has been cancelled, just a bit worried of future bills or charges. You know this days credit history matters

Thanks

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Hi,

I got an email again from BT today confirming the order and sending full details of the order with the company name, contact name (my name), contact number (not my number) and contact email (my email), it's obvious the person gave all my details to BT but their own contact number under the pretence to be me when speaking to BT. I called BT to ask about what action they will be taken against this, this is False Representation and Identity Theft but BT could not say anything other than the person who took the order will be notified.. about what? no comment...

I may have to contact OFTEL to report non cooperation of BT helping victims of identity theft/impersonation/False representation, also helping the community to reduce fraud/identity fraud but concentrating on Profit and getting more customers. A lease BT must have a system in place for situation like this.. phone number or contact email to report fraud and investigate further

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Step 1: Contact the police. Obtain an Incident Reference number from them.

Step 2: Call BT, ask for the Fraud Team, provide Incident Reference to them along with the details of fraudulent action.

Step 3: Call your bank, advise them of the fraudulent activity, and provide the Inicident Reference to them as well.

What should happen, is that BT sort the account out, and block the order. Just in case, your bank has prior notification to block the financial transactions. If your bank don't block the transaction despite notice, their Fraud Team will be exceptionally quick to refund you - and then they'll chase BT for the money back.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Has it occured to you that this could be a genuine mistake.

You say it's there is a company name, what is the company name, have you tried to see if it is a genuine company? The contact name is the same as yours, I bet there are a few people with the same name in this country. Contact number, not yours, have you tried to contact it, does it tally with the company name?

Email address, it is not unknown for BT to have used the wrong email address and also for more than one person to have the same email address with perhaps a number ie. joeblogs@btinternt or joeblogs1@btinternet and the operator to have noted the wrong one.

Has any direct debit or standing orders been set up in your bank account?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I understand your point and it could a genuine mistake but I very much doubt same email address. The email address will always be different with either a dot/_/number etc however I'll expect BT to call the person and reconfirm the email address rather than leaving the mess for me to clean up.

Thanks anyway, BT is now sorting it out hopefully will get a feedback soon

Thanks everyone

0 Ratings