cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barb777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Reporting a fault has to be one of the most painful experiences known to man!!

Tuesday morning, lightning strikes telephone line, subsequently no dial tone. No surprise here, it's already happened twice before.

Husband reports the fault on Wednesday and having heard nothing more keeps trying to contact them and uses £20 phone credit trying.  Tonight I return home and check the account online, no appointment date set.  I run the standard checks on the main box.  Plug known working phone into the test socket on front of the box, no dial tone.  Unscrew the box and remove the central part to reveal socket at the rear, there is a dial tone.  Great, problem found!

I phone faults tonight and despite anything I had to say I was treated to the same parrot fashion reply.  In the end I'm afraiod I became somewhat irate. Didn't get me anywhere, told to phone billing, there will be a charge and then they will send an engineer. Alternatively employ our own engineer. Didn't matter how many times I told him the box was at fault he still kept repeating that there would be a charge to repair.

Since when did BT start charging £129 to replace their own main line boxes!!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Reporting a fault has to be one of the most painful experiences known to man!!

the 129.00 is an advisory if the fault is found to be with any internal wiring or equipment if there is no dial at the test socket it will be non chargeable all other problems are charged the charge is made by Openreach not BT and is also passed on by all providers to the customer
0 Ratings
barb777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: Reporting a fault has to be one of the most painful experiences known to man!!

Thanks, that would be all well and good but faults won't even give me an appointment, they have told me to find a local electrician or phone billing.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If it is only the front plate of your socket that has been fried you should just replace it your self. The front plate can be bought from the likes of auction sites, online stores. Just make sure that you connect the wires into the pins on the new faceplate the same as the ones you removed them from on the old faceplate.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

'I run the standard checks on the main box. Plug known working phone into the test socket on front of the box, no dial tone. Unscrew the box and remove the central part to reveal socket at the rear, there is a dial tone. Great, problem found!'

The test socket at the front of the NTE? That isn't a test socket, the test socket is the one behind the removable front plate.

If the phone works into there the fault would be internal, do you have extension sockets or are there no wires connected to the front plate?

If there are wires pull them out and try a phone into the front plate again, if it works the faults with your wiring and you've just saved yourself £130.....
0 Ratings
barb777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Maybe I should have been more specific, yes the test socket at the front and behind the removable cover, no wiring present at the time of testing.  Test socket to the rear.  Pull middle section free and the socket at the back that the middle bit plugs into.  Dial tone back socket, no dial tone front test socket.  Assuming it is the middle bit of this box (and it certainly looks like it!) then it will be the third time it has blown during lightning.  I ran these same tests with a working phone then too and got the same results.

0 Ratings
lines_man
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Do you have FTTC BB?
0 Ratings