cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maryrosecook
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Req for moderators: Need FTP write access to webspace at btinternet.com/~username

My step-father has a website hosted at http://www.btinternet.com/~philip.martin8/ A few days ago, I FTPed into the webspace to make some changes. I uploaded the new files and the old ones got over-written, but the new ones did not get uploaded. Going to the website now just shows an empty directory listing.

Could a moderator possibly give his FTP account (philip.martin8) write access to that directory? The website is used for our family business, so it's quite important to us.

Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Req for moderators: Need FTP write access to webspace at btinternet.com/~username

@maryrosecook wrote:

My step-father has a website hosted at http://www.btinternet.com/~philip.martin8/ A few days ago, I FTPed into the webspace to make some changes. I uploaded the new files and the old ones got over-written, but the new ones did not get uploaded. Going to the website now just shows an empty directory listing.

Could a moderator possibly give his FTP account (philip.martin8) write access to that directory? The website is used for our family business, so it's quite important to us.

Thanks very much.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

May I ask if your step father is still a BTinternet user ? The usual reason files get removed from the website when uploading is due to the account being a "basic" only one, after say a person has ceased their service.

A basic only account has no webspace allowance, however if the account was previously a "normal" one, then that's why it had space. If the webspace was untouched, it would still function - however any changes, as you've seen, will delete them.

You can check is the account is a basic only one by going to my shortcuts options 12b, and logging in using your step father's email address as the Yahoo! ID and the associated password. Look under Product to see what it says.

0 Ratings
maryrosecook
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: Req for moderators: Need FTP write access to webspace at btinternet.com/~username

Thanks so much for replying.  I logged in at the address you indicated and it said, as you predicted: "BT Yahoo! Basic Mail".  Should I upgrade his account? What should I upgrade to? How do I do this?

Thanks very much again.

0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Are we allowed web space then?

How do we access it - why aren't these details posted somewhere where I could see them?  (Or are they?)

Is there a link please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

@ChefHilary wrote:

Are we allowed web space then?

How do we access it - why aren't these details posted somewhere where I could see them?  (Or are they?)

Is there a link please?

Thanks

Hi.

Have a look at my shortcuts, option 10.

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

chefhilary have a look at this post the links from Andy's post should help you
0 Ratings
ChefHilary
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

great stuff.

now all i need to do is learn how to use it 🙂

thank you Andy (& John)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@ChefHilary wrote:

great stuff.

now all i need to do is learn how to use it 🙂

thank you Andy (& John)

If you want a free Ftp client to upload files, try Filezilla

toekneem

(EASBF)