cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Venom
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Request for Mod help for checking my profile.

Hi All,

I am after some help from the Mods if possible.

I have recently re-contracted with BT for Infinity 1 and was supplied a new Smart Hub to replace my stand alone BT ECI supplied modem and other Homehub 5.

This Smart hub is dropping connection around midnight to 1am everyday, and the odd one off drop of connection on a Sunday afternoon.  Luckily I noticed the Sunday one and one on a Midnight reboot, and the Hub lights would go off and do its usual re-sync process.

I have been in contact twice with technical support who say the line is fine, and I did the usual master socket test, quiet line test ( I dont have any extensions or even a phone connected) etc, and they suspect a faulty Smarthub.

While I am waiting for a replacement Smarthub, I plugged in my Draytek Vigor 2860 which is BT SIN 498  and MCT approved.

Unfortunatley, the connection is still dropping around midnight to 1am.

My speeds have now dropped, due the disconnections and DLM.  Please see the pictures below.

The technical support advised my minmum threshold is 39Mbps, which I am now getting under.

bt exchange speed.PNG

bt speedtest 26-3-17-10.07.PNG

Edie: sorry picture looks small, so the information is 36.06 down, and 7.36 up

Some further background information

I had a previous issue of banding and I am now thinking was possibly caused by the connection was dropping, but I didnt notice as the old ECI Modem didn't have logs, and when the Homehub 5 disconnected it was put down to an issue with the Homehub 5.

Previous details here : -

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Could-I-get-anymore-out-of-my-connection/td...

So do I have a line fault which re-sets itself, or need a profile check and DLM reset?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Request for Mod help for checking my profile.

The download speed will always be lower than the connection speed.

The mods cannot reset DLM on BT Infinity.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Are you connected directly to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Thank you for the replies guys.

I am connected directly to the MK3 master socket.  Th econnection does not have any extensions, or even a phone plugged in as it's only used for gaming.  Here are more connection stats, and as you can see can connect at 50Mbps.

I was on fast path yesterday morning.

bt line 26-3-17.PNG

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Try plugging a phone in, as its needed to provide some form of continuity, and reduce the likelyhood of high resistance connections. Also if you have a disconnection in one wire, its not possible to detect this without a phone.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

You are connected at 38Mbs not 55 mbs. 55Mbs is the maximum connection rate, if there are no errors or disconnections  on the line.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Does your router display the SNR?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

HI ,

Firstly Keith - thanks for the information regarding having a phone connected, that is something I didn't know.

As regards the connection, sorry I just chose the wrong wording, I should have chose 'line capable of'.

Quiet lin tests with an analogue did not show up anything, however I have not performed this during the suspect hours of midnight to 1am.

Webby, the snr are both 6db on the up and down.  This has changed since the previous thread I have linked in the original thread which was around 14.9db.

Other stat information if relevant :

stats.PNG

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

@Venom wrote:

HI ,

Firstly Keith - thanks for the information regarding having a phone connected, that is something I didn't know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may find this post interesting https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/No-Internet-and-horrible-bt-customer-service...

It also applies to BT Infinity.

0 Ratings
Venom
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Just for my own information really, here are the stats for the newly installed replacement BT Smart Hub.

new bt homehub 31-3-17.PNG

Even though the information states fast path, I am not sure it is due to the fact pings are around 30ms to bbc.co.uk, when they used to be around 18ms.  From my draytek router stats when it was last connected it stated fastpath on the upload only, with interleaving still on the downstream.

Just hoping DLM now relinquishes over the next few days.

BTwholesale speedtest is coming in at 37.51 Mbps for downstream.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

the DLM can hake a few weeks of stable connection before it relents certainly not days
0 Ratings