cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fab2052
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Resolved Broadband fault

I did an online speed test on the 6 July 2016 as my broadband speed had dropped from 3.8 Mbps to 200 Kbps. Followed the procedure to make a Fault report. It said that to look back daily to see what was being done to resolve the issue. Looked on the 12 July and it said that the problem had been resolved.  The broadband speed is stIll the same at around 200Kbps and the BT online speed test on MyBt app is still reporting it as a fault and should be looked at. It took 3 hours yesterday to download a 136 Mb  file, cannot use Netflix or Amazon Prime accounts due to the broadband becoming so poor. What is the point of doing online fault reporting if they are being written off without anything being done. Today I will be ringing BT to either sort out the problem or lose a good customer.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Resolved Broadband fault

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

I have altered the subject line to remove the fault number, as this is a public forum.

Is your landline phone working, is there any noise on the phone when you dial 17070 and select option 2?

Noise on the phone line will affect broadband. A noisy line fault will still be there whichever provider you use.

0 Ratings
fab2052
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi, I have done all the tests required as this isn't the first time that my broadband 3.8Mbps as dropped to the equivalent of a 56k modem. I live in a new house with all the wiring meeting the correct standard. I used the My BT app to test the broadband speed and it keeps coming back at <300 Kbps, two weeks ago it was coming back at 3.8 Mbps. I have also had my laptop connected to the Hub4 via cable and it took 3 hours to download a 136 mb file and that was at 5 in the morning just to test the system.

What annoys me the most is having the fault that I reported coming back as resolved by BT when in fact nothing had changed.

I'll be on the phone to BT today and if they cannot restore my 3.8 Mbps broadband then they have lost a customer of long standing. I am having to use my 4g phone as a personal hotspot which gives me 15 Mbps just to download my personal and business emails and to use this forum. I am not getting the service that I am paying for.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

as Keith posted this is a customer help customer forum

if you want help from the forum then you need to post some more information

is you phone working?

if you now have hh4 can you go to hub manager/troubleshooting/logs wan  and post the 2 lines of stats showing your connection speed and noise margin  this will be when your hh4 last conencted to the internet

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
fab2052
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi, I followed your remit and this is how it came back. Thank you.

From Hub4

02:01:47, 10 Jul. (294786.160000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 3.00 dB downstream
02:01:46, 10 Jul. (294785.130000) DSL line rate: 827 Kbps upstream, 375 Kbps downstream

BT Speed Tester results:-

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.33

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.65

Ping Latency(ms): 40.88

FTTC Check:-

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ( * ) on Exchange KILLINGWORTH is served by Cabinet 12
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2 to 4 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1.5 to 4.5 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --

Quiet line test:  Not silent but faint hum.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

a dull hum is normal is using a cordless phone

your conenction speed is terrible hence the very low download speed    are you currently conencted to the test socket with a new filter and not using a phone extension cable?

if you connect to test socket then check that any extension socket does not have a dial tone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
fab2052
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Hi, 

I have not long spoken to a BT Call Centre person who did a diagnostic test with what they have available to connect to my local exchange and found a problem. Engineer booked for mid next week. I'll post whether its been a success or not. 

Thank you for your time and advice, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 8

@fab2052 Thanks for the update, I hope the engineer gets that sorted for you. 

0 Ratings