cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Retaining email sub-account

Hi My .btinternet email address was originally set-up as a sub-account within my partner's account. I am taking soon taking out my own BT phone/broadband, and have placed the order against this email address. In order to get a better price moving to an Infinity package from BT next month my partner has now been told to close her existing account and open a new one. Will my email address be seen as being associated with her soon to be closed account and become defunct or is it now seen as associated with my own account? Thanks
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Retaining email sub-account

There is no reason for your partner to close her email accounts just because she is upgrading to Infinity unless she is planning to leave BT for at least a month then returning as a new customer.

If she does that she can get Premium email for £5 a month until she gets her Infinity package then have her email accounts associated with it. This would include any sub accounts of hers.

You can have the sub account associated to your new BT Broadband account but you will need to have the account holder's permission. See link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44864/~/can-i-link-my-existing-bt-mail-address-to-ano...

In any event it is not something you can do your self and it often proves in the "to hard to do" box for Customer Services so

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem.

Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 3 of 11

@jhrowley The email address you provided when ordering is used as your contact email to send the order confirmation emails etc and doesn't associate it to your new account. 

If you send over your details we'll be happy help you with this. You can find the contact the mods link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thanks, both of you, for your quick responses.

Closing her current account and opening a new one (without any gap, both to occur on 6 December 2017), was what she was told she needed to do to get the best price, rather than pay full price.

I'll send over the details to NeilO as suggested.

0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Hi Re Ref No **Edited by Mod**I understand from phone conversations that this has been difficult to do, but as my partner's current BT account will be closed on 6 December I would be grateful for some reassurance that my email will not become unusable on that date. In the phone conversations my partner also asked for her current BT email address to be moved to her new account too, and she would be grateful for the same reassurance. Thanks

0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Hi We had a call yesterday where we were told my email had been transferred to my own account. Unfortunately I didn't take the call myself so didn't have the opportunity to ask questions about what I needed to do. I went into myBT and "claimed" it for my account, but whenever I try to get email I get the message "Sorry, we don't recognise this email address", so can't currently get any new, or even old, emails. Can you take a look again, please or contact me by phone again to tell me what to if I've missed something. Thanks
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 11

@jhrowley sorry about that. It was my colleague @RobbieMac who was helping with this but he's not in the office today. I've just checked your BT ID and can see the email address is associated to your billing account now. When you login to your MY BT account and click on Extras then Manage mail is the your email showing in the list? 

0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thanks - sorry not replied sooner, but busy sorting out the day after house move and only just stopped! Yes, the email address is there in Extras/Manage Mail. I think that's the screen I "claimed" it from. There are options to make favourite and delete. Hope that helps.
0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

PS Delayed reply yesterday as well because without the email address I'm not getting notifications of postings here that I can see quickly and easily. I'll check this webpage more regularly today.
0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

After my new account was active i set up a new email directly on it, similar to the one set up no my partners account that I want transferred to my own account but with my surname and initials reversed in sequence. This is also giving the "we don't recognise this email address" message when I try to login on Yahoo or set up on iPad.

Dont know if this helps solve the problem with the original address. 

I would like to end up with both on my account please!

thanks

0 Ratings