cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Returned from holiday to find my broadband speed has dropped from 6Mbps to below 0.3Mbps

Hello

I have a BT broadband connection and have been with BT since they started the service several years ago. My normal broadband speed was around 6Mbps give or take normal fluctuations. I went on holiday about three weeks ago with a normal connection. I returned on Saturday July 14th to find that my connection was now at around 0.25 - 0.3Mbps. I could load web pages very slowly but nothing else. (My router was left on whilst I was away).

I have a windows PC, and a Mac both connected to my HH3 via Ethernet, I also have a Mac laptop connected via WiFi. I have done speed tests on all three and they come back with the same connection speed. My HH3 is working as it should, to make sure it wasn't the router I have tested my connection with a BT Voyager 2100 and I have the same connection speeds. All devices have been turned off and back on. I have checked all cabling and replaced the filters. I have removed the faceplate from the telephone wall socket and have connected via the test socket, same result. We only have one telephone socket in the house, no extension sockets or cables. Nothing has changed in the house such as new electronics, electrical work that may be causing interference.

I have the following connection information from the router:

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 17:37:01
Downstream: 286.3 Kbps
Upstream: 447 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 26.6 dB / 17.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 40.8 dB / 24.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.1 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 3 / 347
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 304
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 10
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 14 / 54234

I have also done the BT diagnostic speed test:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
0.25 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.34 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I also went onto the BT website and run the speedtest there which came back with the same results. Interestingly it stated my connection to the exchange was 0.25Mbps, it highlighted this in red stating that this connection speed could be improved. If it helps my exchange is RUGELEY, and my area code is 01889. I have looked on the BT exchange list and there are no problems showing for my exchange. I have also done the quiet line test and I can hear what sounds like quiet static in the background.

Any suggestions? I am puzzled, and just wanted to be sure that I have covered any possible diagnostics that I could do at my end, in order to save having to contact BT customer support. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: Returned from holiday to find my broadband speed has dropped from 6Mbps to below 0.3Mbps

have simular problem =[

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: Returned from holiday to find my broadband speed has dropped from 6Mbps to below 0.3Mbps

When I looked to see if there were any problems in my area, I was hoping that it would say that there was. At least then I would know the cause of my slow connection. But there are no outages or cable thefts near me, that would explain my issue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 10

Hi brianapa,

You have been put into a banded profile automatically by the exchange equipment as the exchange has detected a multiple loss of connections (eg resyncs) over a period of time due to disconnections between the hub and the exchange.

The system (dlm) will automatically release you from the banded profile after 3 to 5 days of a stable connection. Though your speed may take some time to recover.

This is automatically done to prevent errors and to stabilise the line.

As your on ADSL2+ your IP Profile will be 88.2% of connection speed, as your connection speed gets better and out of the banded profile your IP Profile will immediately change automatically.

It is advised to keep the homehub/router switched on constantly and connected 24/7, as any restarts/disconnections or turning off of the router/homehub will make the dlm think there is a problem with your line and will either increase your noise margin, decrease your IP Profile, decrease your sync rate or put you into a banded profile.

This is done automatically to stabilise the line.

If you are not released from the banded profile in 3/5+ days then come back here and we can look into the issue further. If needed you can get manual be released from the banded profile (if not automatically already done so) by the BT Care Team, but you will need to have a 3+day stable connection first.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thank you for such a quick reply, maybe something happened whilst I was away that caused some disconnects. I will wait at least 5 days as you suggest. I will post back here whether it works or not. At least I have some explanation now as to what has happened.

Thank you
Brian
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Hello

Well it's been a week and my broadband speed is still the same, not even a minimal increase. I have gone back into the HH to look at the settings and noticed that the connection time is currently at 2 days 9 hours rather than 7 days or so that i expected. I have not reset the router or even touched it, we have not had a power cut etc. So somehow somewhere the connection was lost and then restarted. I presume that this reset has stopped my connection coming out of the banded profile that it is in?

Is it a case that I just need to keep my fingers crossed that I can reach 5 days of connection time without a reset?

Thanks

Brian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

sorry but as you expected the resets has restarted the clock.

can you post your current stats please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Here is the current readout from my HH3....

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:2 days, 10:09:19
Downstream:286.3 Kbps
Upstream:684 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):27.3 dB / 12.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):41.1 dB / 24.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):4702 / 6731
CRC Events (Down/Up):7 / 48335
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):19 / 2966096
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):5 / 54273

Thanks

Brian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

just keep an eye on the connection time after 3/5 days your noise margin should start to reduce and your speed increase
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

that's a lot of errors is quiet line test still quiet?  when banding releases your noise margin will drop to 12/15db with corresponding speed increase and if you stay connected your noise margin will continue to drop with a speed increase each time until you get back to normal 6db.  this may take a few weeks rather than days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings