cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marc_d1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Returning for more help

My connection problems (constantly getting disconnected) are mostly fixed. Thanks to a mod mostly - Stephanie - and input here as well. I still lose connection to the internet (not the Hub apparently but internet cuts out) too often for my liking, at least once per day or 2, but at least it's not brutal.

Now, however, my connection seems reasonably feeble; I'm experiencing a lot of jitter and general lag, even when playing against players from Europe who I used to be fine against (I accept US/CAN as less likely to work, but Sweden? Come on).

My ping *seems* OK for the most part when I check the sites, but nevertheless the games seem to play up still. I wonder if there's anything I can do, even the most basic suggestions, so I can try to improve its performance. I don't really know myself but even if it's doing something with the wires, the Hub, whatever...

Thanks very much. I spend a bunch of time on the net so help in this regard is SERIOUSLY appreciated.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
marc_d1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Returning for more help

Just to add as well:

I play a sports game where you connect to one other person directly. It seems lately I'm also having awful trouble just CONNECTING to someone else.

I realize that could be other factors, like less people playing, but I think it may be related.

I swear some sort of tweak to my settings/network/setup/whatever might be the fix, I Just don't know what...

0 Ratings
marc_d1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I may have spoken too soon. Yet another disconnect costing me big in what I'm doing. Note the connection staying up but ADSL down again. Seriously, I didn't have ANY problems with o2. This is just beyond belief at this point.

Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time2 days, 03:24:03
Downstream11,212 Kbps
Upstream1,203 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)16.8 dB / 6.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)16.9 dB / 5.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.1 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)176 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)388 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)164 / 0

Connection Information
Connection time0 days, 00:07:34
Data Transmitted/Received (MB)0.8 / 1.1
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
PasswordNot configured

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

You keep saying that your facing a disconnect, your hub stats show you've been connected for 2 days.  

Do you connect wirelessly because if so, you may be experiencing wireless drop outs which is causing your computer to disconnect from the internet and not the router.  

Use this utility, called inSSIDer to check for other wireless networks using the same channel as your Home Hub 2.0 which could be the reason why you're disconnecting from the router.

And also when you find which channel is least congested on inSSIDer I've provided a link to the guide on BT's help website which will tell you how to change the wireless channel on your Home Hub 2.0 http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11382 .

0 Ratings
marc_d1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Edd, thanks for your reply. 2 things in response:

1) The Homehub middle light goes orange, so the broadband coming from the main socket seems to be going altogether

2) Both my laptop and XBOX 360 lose connection, the laptop is wireless while the 360 is wired directly to the HH

Please advise further based on this info if poss.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

your noise margin is still high same as before.  are you feeling anymore confident about disconnecting the orange bellwire as I think that will help your connection.

if you could eliminate the noise then get margin down to 6 then should get back to your 17mb connection and hopefully more stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
marc_d1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

I don't think I am, no - tenanted flat, very inexperienced with stuff like that.

I guess I can have a look later but that's the one thing I'd rather not dabble in if I can avoid it. Again I might be wrong but I really feel like there's some sorta tweaks I can make to help ... like I'm doing something silly which is hurting the connection (although don't ask me what).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

as I said your noise margin is still very high at 16

when you tried inssider there was no networks round about you but did you try changing the wireless channel to another one just in case there are wifi networks but they are not broadcasting their ssid.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Darren
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Do you have a iplate  fitted to your main socket,this may help.Also I am to a gamer,I will not suggest a router as the one Iuse is exspensive,however the hh2 is not brilliant for gaming. 

0 Ratings
Darren
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Looks like your router may be the problem.

have a look on here.Netgear are normally very good and easy to set up,if your on adsl2+ go for one of those

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/index.php?cPath=149_151

0 Ratings