Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter2015
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Reusing second line master socket?

Go to solution

Hi folks, I'm looking to get in fibre broadband, but have encountered some issues surrounding an old second line. I've inherited a share of the house I grew up in, and back in 1997 or thereabouts my dad got a second line installed for business purposes, with a proper master socket in an upstairs bedroom. It eventually became a dial-up internet line and to this day continues to be used for ADSL only. Naturally, I don't want to keep paying for two lines, but I do want to use the second line's socket because the main line master socket in the front hall has no power nearby. Is it possible for an engineer to simply turn the second master socket into a sort of extension to the downstairs one, and if so is it going to cost a fortune?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Reusing second line master socket?

Go to solution

Are you going to get the BT Business line ceased?

0 Ratings
Peter2015
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Keith, it's just a normal residential line nowadays (it was only business for the first couple of years), and yes I do plan on cancelling it as it's never used for voice calls.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Peter2015 wrote:

Hi Keith, it's just a normal residential line nowadays (it was only business for the first couple of years), and yes I do plan on cancelling it as it's never used for voice calls.

So it was moved from BT Business to BT Residential.

I would cease that line first. Then it would be cheaper and  simpler to run an internal extension from the remaining line, instead of trying to put in a request to BT, as I can see all sorts of things that can go wrong.

You cannot have two master sockets connected to the same line anyway.

If you are paying for your Infinity install, then you may be able to persuade the installation technician to alter the external wiring so it goes to the other socket. You would have to wait until the other line is ceased first.

0 Ratings
Peter2015
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Great, thanks, that sounds fair enough. The only potential complicating factor is that I haven't decided yet whether to go with Infinity or my current ADSL provider's fibre offering. Both have an installation charge, but would I be right to assume that it's the same Openreach engineer either way?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It would be Openreach, or one of their contractors, whichever ISP you choose, apart from Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
Peter2015
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Brilliant, many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings