Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Rewireing

Hello,

I have to move my extension socket futher from the main socket.

At this occassion I have decided to change the wires to Flat CAT5E so it can go under the carpet.

I have purchased the cable http://bit.ly/TQiySQ, and replaced the original one.

It turned out this doesn't work.

I think the reason is that the original CAT5 cable has much thicker leads and when I plug them into the sockets with IDC Tool the blades in the socket doesn't break the leads guards.

When I plug the original cable back in everything works just fine.

So I'm not sure what to do now, I really would like to have flat cable as the original one really catched the eye...

I can't find any specification if there are differend thicknesses of the leads in CAT5e cables...

Does anyone has any suggestion?

Are there CAT5e cables with only 2 leads? (I need only 2) - maybe naive question but that might work to make the cable less visible...

Are there any CAT5e cables which are flat but with thick leads inside?

Please help!

Thank you

Z

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: Rewireing

I've just noticed, the link doesn't work as it's too long, here's shorter one: http://bit.ly/TQiySQ

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

This is for master socket extension?

If yes why use cat 5e?

Just use 2 pair telephone cable........

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

@zeeto wrote:

I think the reason is that the original CAT5 cable has much thicker leads and when I plug them into the sockets with IDC Tool the blades in the socket doesn't break the leads guards.

That will be because you bought a patch lead which use stranded cable, what you need is solid core cable for IDC punch down connections.

As suggested you can get 2 pair telephone cable but you might aswell use twisted pair:

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16139&cat=250&page=1

Isn't there any room under the carpet around the edge, here there is a gap between the bottom of the skirting board and the floor so I tucked my extention in that.

Otherwise instead of running it under the carpet I'd suggest running it along the top of the skirting board and securing it with cable clips:

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16151&cat=250&page=1

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Read something in the last day or two that stated that flat cable should not be used for anything more than a few meters in length. Anything further Twisted pair telephone cable CW1308 or cat 5 or better used be used.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Guys, thanks for your replies... really apreciated.

I'm struggling with connecting PC -> BTHUB -> Socket as the distance is 15meters and I can't use anything that makes holes (no clips with nails etc) and I don't have the possibility to lay the cable under the carpet...

The only thing I can do is to lay the cable between the carpet and skirting... and the original cable I've got from BT is just too thick to do that...

So with my only option to lay some sort of flat cable, what would be the best?

- 15m of telephone cable and very short cat5e/6 cable from router to PC?

- 5m of telephone cable and 10m flat cat5e/6 cable?

- or very short telephone cable and 15m flat cat5e/6 cable?

If it is the first option, do they do flat, solid core telephone cables at all? - I really couldn't find any...

I've found flat cat6 cable that I can use either with RJ11 to connect router with the socket or with RJ45 to connect the router with my PC does that make any difference at all?

--

Thank you guys.

Z

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 10

You can get clips with nails pre-set and nail them to skirting boards.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Thx, but I can't do any damage to skirting nor walls...

Would love to hear about the cable advise as per my post above.

Plz help.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I don't think its the spec of the cable that is your problem, it's the fact that that flat cable does not have twisted pairs.  It's the twist in the cables that help to prevent picking up interference from the surriundings.

Some IT networking experts on this forum may be able to advise you better? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Assuming that your carpet is fitted on underlay and with carpet gripper the best way to hide a telephone/cat5e/alarm cable is to lift the carpet along the route that you want to take. Peal back the underlay from the gripper and cut around 3/8" (10mm) off of the edge of the underlay....this will provide a channel for your cable to lay.

Then secure the cable into the channel...Gaffa tape, hot glue or cable clips. Then relay the carpet, tucking the carpet edge into the channel between the gripper and the skirting board and then use your heels to bed the carpet back onto the gripper.

IF you have to cross a doorway and there is a threshold bar then use the same technique....if your unlucky and the carpets are seamed thro the doorway best option is to go up and over the door.

A way of securing cables that doesn't involve nailing to skirting boards (and the subsequent damage) is to either use BluTac (for a temporary job) or hot glue for a longer lasting job.

I've been using these methods professionally for years where cable needed to be hidden or where taking to walls & skirtings wasn't acceptable.

BTW NEVER LAY CABLES BETWEEN GRIPPER & SKIRTING....its impossible to get the carpets back properly

0 Ratings