cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Rewiring my Infinity setup myself

Go to solution

Okay, so currently I have a lot of superfluous wriing between my phone socket and my openreach modem. I called BT to see if they could send an engineer to rewire it, and they said they could, but it would cost £99. Rip off!

It doesn't seem like it would too difficult of a job, just remove some staples, trim the wire and then feed it into the phone socket again. Is this right? I'm reasonably tech savvy and unless any special equipment is required I think I could probably do it myself. Is it possible for me to rewire this myself? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Rewiring my Infinity setup myself

Go to solution

The connection wire between the master socket and the modem is a standard cable (RJ11 to RJ11 I think), so you'd probably do better to replace it with as short a new cable as possible, rather than trim the old one.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

There doesn't appear to be an RJ11 feed from the wire to the phone socket - the wire is fed directly into the phone socket at the bottom.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Puppy

My setup does not look like that. The faceplate is the same, but there is no RJ11 cable plugged into the top socket. Instead, there is a wire that feeds directly into the bottom face of the box (no visible connector), and it is this wire that is plugged into my openreach modem upstairs. If required, I can take a picture and post it here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Hi yes a picture would help
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I think you must have a data extension (or something named a little like that).  I don't know if they disable the 'normal' socket FTTC top when they add the extension.  As a test, try with the modem plugged to the top socket of the master by a standard RJ11 connection.

If that works, you can probably safely cut the extension as it leaves the master socket (using a plastic blade), or if you are braver, unwire it from inside the master.  I don't know exactly what filtering there is where if you have the data extension, and if there is any risk of its carrying the 40v ring voltage.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

If you are going to use the master socket, make sure any hard wired data extensions are disconnected from inside the socket. The connection for this will be on the filtered faceplate so just take off the bottom half frontplate and the connections should be revealed still on the socket, not the bit you just disconnected.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your help people. I opened up the phone socket, took the old extension wire out, and bought a simple RJ11 DSL cable to connect to my openreach modem. BT were charging me £99, I did it with an expensive £5 cable and an expensive £3.50 of diesel to get there. As evidenced by me replying, it worked a treat.

0 Ratings