cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Rogue email in Inbox preventing client apps downloading emails

Go to solution

I've had an issue on my Apple devices for the past few weeks whereby I'm no longer able to view emails in my BT Yahoo inbox. I just completed an unsuccessful web chat, during which time I found that :

a. I was able to view all my email folders on my phone, including content, except for my Inbox

b. If I moved all visible emails to another folder, I was able to download those emails to my phone successfully

c. Having cleared my Inbox and sent a couple of test messages, I'm seeing a discrepancy between the number of emails shown from the summary in the left hand pane and those visible in the main pane, per the image below.

It appears that there's a rogue email in my inbox which is preventing client apps from downloading emails from that folder. I vaguely recall hitting a similar symptom several years ago.

The support rep and their supervisor were unable to assist further. Can anyone suggest how I can get this resolved please?

Thanks!

Simon.

BT2.jpg

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 22

Re: Rogue email in Inbox preventing client apps downloading emails

Go to solution

Hi Simon.

Have you tried marking all emails as read?

Another thing might to set Basic view, then return to normal view (Click the Cog/Settings - choose Basic view, then save).

Is it just Apple devices? I.e. do you have another mail client such as Thunderbird to see if the problem is the same?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried changing the settings as you suggested, but still saw the same, i.e. one "extra" email in the summary count, but it wasn't displayed in the main pane. When I marked all emails as read, I still see one email showing as unread in the summary pane on the left, even though it is not displaying in the main pane.

I did try connecting from Thunderbird, and that was able to download all *visible* emails - that is, the "rogue unread" email did *not* get downloaded.

I've vaguely remember hitting a similar issue several years ago, and the support person managed to access my email and resolve it (presumably by deleting the message?).

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Are you familiar with TELNET & raw POP3?

Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Telnet yes, and I've just googled raw pop3 🙂

I just logged into mail.btinternet.com via telnet, and although stat shows there are 3 messages, list only shows the two visible ones:

+OK Maildrop ready, (JPOP server ready).
stat
+OK 3 59298
list
+OK 3 message(s) (59298 octets).
1 8419
2 7124

Any advice on specific commands to try would be gratefully received - thanks!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Yes, I was hoping that the LIST would show the hidden msg & then you'd be able to delete it, but unfortunately no :(.

Sorry, can't think of anything else from your end. It needs somebody from BT Mail to do something from the server end.

Looks like missing msg is 44K bytes long.

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Agree, I think this needs mod intervention, I have notified them of the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @wignomore and thanks for posting.

I'm not sure if there's a lot we can do here but I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. Please drop me over an email with your details. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Have you checked that the "rogue" email is not in one of your Apple devices email app? Have you tried deleting and re-installing the email apps to see if this clears it.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

It can't be. It shows up in raw POP3 & in BT Webmail.