Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
danatcaret
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Rolling Contract Expiry Date shambles

Now, I knew that I had signed up to BT's yearly rolling contract scheme when I first signed up. There doesn't seem to be much option but to do so.

So now I want to move away. I realise that I can't do this except when the contract expires or no doubt have to pay some hefty fines to keep the bubbly flowing at Newgate Street. A bit rubbish, but that's just the way the world is.

My problem is it's almost impossible to find out when a contract ends. It doesn't mention it on the bills. I went through their labarynthine help system which contained an answer to the question and said "click here" (URL below). Click on the link, and there's no such information at the end of it at all. I've checked through the piles and piles of junk mail I get from BT every year, and I can't find it there?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14348/c/345,350,361

Is it really such a big secret when my contract expires? I can understand why BT don't want to make it public, as it's making it very difficult to switch to another provider, but surely keeping it secret, or at least very well hidden, isn't something they should be allowed to do by the regulators?

A warning to everyone who's embarking on these contracts is to keep this information at sign up, as you'll never discover it from BT at a later date!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
danatcaret
Beginner
Message 2 of 5

Re: Rolling Contract Expiry Date shambles

Reading even more Terms+Conditions, as if I've got nothing better to do with my life, I've just thought of another possibilty.

About a year ago a BT sales person phoned me offering some triffling baubles, and saying that in exhange I would be put on a 12-month rolling contract. I objected and she said that I was already on one.I told her to go away and things like contracts should be negotiated by letter.

Perhaps I'm not on such a contract? Perhaps the sealswoman was lying? I really can't find any record of such a thing.

So come on BT: was your phone saleswoman lying or are you deliberately hiding these contract details from me?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

The only way I know of to find out when the contract ends is to phone up BT and ask.

As for contracts being in writing, there's no reason why they need to be. If you agree to something over the phone, then that's a contract. BT record the phone calls, in case you ever dispute the contract. I have started the habit of recording calls to utility companies myself so that I have my own record of what was said.
0 Ratings
danatcaret
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I'll give them a ring then. I've tried to ring them in the past and I get stuck in a massive maze of robots, so I was trying to avoid that.

I realise what you say about contracts being possible over the phone. That's why I'm not prepared to discuss them there and will hang up if they start talking about it. It's wholy inappropriate and immoral to vary a contract in such circumstances, however legal it might be. They know where I live well enough to send the bill.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

You could send an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your name, account number and a link back to this thread. They can provide all your contract end dates - they did for me.

Also by doing this, there's no chance of the rep diverting the conversation and it's in writingSmiley Wink

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings