cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Router Query

Hi looking for some advice please I've just upgraded to Infinity2 & everything seems fine but I wanted to use my Netgear dgn3700v2 instead of the hh5 but it's not compatible as it doesn't support VDSL apparently.Can someone please give me the best alternative router or is there a way I can use the netgear ?thanks
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Router Query

you either need a vdsl modem/router or you need an openreach modem and then a router  modem/router are quite expensive and limited whereas getting an openreach modem form auction site and then router wouuld be a cheaper alternative

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 33

You could use your netgear as a wirless acces point by connecting it to the HH5 but it is a bit of an adhoc solution as you can not just use the HH5 as a modem only.

If you buy an Openreach modem from an auction site for about £20 you could use your Netgear with the Openreach modem.

If you would rather have a one box solution just do a search for VDSL modem/router and you will find a selection. If you stick to the well known brands you won't go wrong.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 33

So can I get the open reach and use that with my netgear router? Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Excuse my ignorance are there different types of the open reach modems & if so which model would I require?thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 33

Just quickly checked and couple of different types: type a, type b and unlocked?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 33

most popular is HG612 and unlocked if you want to be able to see the stats - unlocked probably more expensive

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 33

OK thank you are there any benefits in this setup as opposed to a single router/modem apart from price?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

having router and modem allows you to reset your router without disrupting your infinity connection

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Would I be right in assuming that the router would be a wireless access point only?
0 Ratings