cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harryst
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Router Setup/forwarding

I have a HH3, recently my Desk Top Help stopped working.

I phoned for assittance, I did many thinks as instructed but to no success.

Then on my 3 or 4 attempt an enginner told me to uninstall because thats what happens some time, nothing can be done. I am on Windows 7.

I have been trying to set up port forwarding both on my own and then asked for help via phone.

After many attemps I was directed to an BT engineer who took remote control of computer, but not until I agreed to pay £15 which would be added onto my bill.

This was then done, I think?

I have a Iomega Cloud edition NAS drive which I wish to remotely access from other places and computers.

My NAS drive keeps telling me  "Your network router could not be configured to enable or disable remote access. This can occur when your router does not have UPnP enabled or the required port cannot be opened or closed."

I am at a loss, I am willing to pay but does not seem to work and one of BT selling points, because I dont understand was the Desk top help which I cannot have, sorry about the mone.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks Harry

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Router Setup/forwarding

There is some help on this page.

Port forwarding problems

0 Ratings
harryst
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Keith, thanks for quick reply.

I have followed your link and carried out instructions ?? I think??

Application not listed so called it Home Media NAS entered into Port range 50500 - 50500

Did not understand Translate to so left blank.

Used checking tool to check and came back " Can see your service on 86.165.122.246 "

On opening my Media Drive and looking at remote access it states"External IP Address: 86.165.122.246
Router configuration error"

I revisited the BT router and messed with UPnP and DMZ but could not get any different results?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

The fact that your service can be seen from the Internet, proves that the ports are open.

What device are you trying to use to access your NAS from the Internet, is it a phone or something?

Its an odd port range to be using for remote access.

I would make sure that uPNp is disabled, to avoid any conflicts.

0 Ratings
harryst
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Keith, I wish to access my Nas drive with renote computer and Android phone, Later I wish to acces via BT hub either a camera or CCTV.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

I would not worry too much about the NAS error messages, as its probably trying to look at your external IP address, and then loop back itself to prove a connection.

This relies on the router being able to provide NAT loopback, which the later home hubs do not support at the moment. A firmware upgrade is due which should fix that.

You need to connect your phone to another network, like 3G, or possibly your BT wifi connection.

That way the incoming request will not be originating from within your network.

You should find that your phone will see the NAS without any problems. It just won`t work if you connect to your own network.

0 Ratings
harryst
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Keith, This is what I get? I swiched wi-fi of on phone and used 3g network to try and connect to TZO network using domain name given but does not connect? think I may have a different problem with this.

Many thanks.

Remote Access

Manage access to your Home Media Network Hard Drive from computers on the internet. Overview

Off  On
Your network router could not be configured to enable or disable remote access. This can occur when your router does not have UPnP enabled or the required port cannot be opened or closed.
  •  
    Local IP Address: 192.168.1.64
  •  
    External IP Address: 86.165.122.246
    Router configuration error
    A connection could not be verified between TZO's servers and your device.

•  
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Can you configure you NAS to use a static IP address, and not rely on DHCP as you are doing at the moment?

DHCP can be unreliable on the home hubs.

I have a Zyxel NSA210 NAS, and I have given it a static IP address of 192.168.1.57, and have no problems with remote access.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

I have just run Microsoft PortQuery on your IP address and port, and it shows it as open.

IP address resolved to host86-165-122-246.range86-165.btcentralplus.com

querying...

TCP port 50500 (unknown service): LISTENING
portqry.exe -n 86.165.122.246 -e 50500 -p TCP exits with return code 0x00000000.

That would indicate that your existing port forwarding is correct.

0 Ratings
harryst
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Many thanks for all info, regret no matter what I do it will not conect remotely.

I signed up to BT tech expert, have already paid them once trying to resolve.

Second expert I spoke to said it was my router at fault and sent a new one.

Once installed I ran again, could not get it to work, then told by another expert that it was not possable to do unless I had a fixed IP address and this only comes with Buisiness Broadband??

My son come to visit today, he took out his phone pressed his Seagate App and was connected to his NAS drive.

He said when he added his NAS he just followed the instructions and it worked??

0 Ratings