cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 30

Router suddenly dropping sync

Hi guys,

I'm on BT Unlimited broadband, and I've been very happy with it for about 2 years now. Usual speed is 1Mbps up, 15Mbps down.

This morning I booted my PC up to find that I had no internet access. Checked the router (I've got an old Buffalo airstation), and it's in a cycle of dropping connection and resyncing.

It'll sync at some random speed between 1000 and 19000Mb/s, and hold it for a few minutes.

While it's synced, I get very good speed test results, but then it'll drop the connection.

I'm at work now, so can't do any more testing, but I was going to approach it like this tonight:

1) Swap the modem/router out for a spare to make sure it hasn't gone bad (it's more than 5 years old)

2) Disconnect the telephone extension (which runs along the wall outside the house!)

3) Plug the router directly into the master socket (the one behind the faceplate) and see what happens.

I had a listen on the phone plugged into the master socket, and I couldn't hear any crackling (I had issues with the previous owner of the house having installed multiple extensions into the master socket, and it crackled a lot).

Any other things I should check for, or are there any line tests that can be run?

Many thanks,

Dave

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Router suddenly dropping sync

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 30

Yep, nothing reported for my phone number.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 30

is the phone extension on outside wall connect to faceplate of master socket or to junction box before master socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 30

It connects to the master socket, then goes out through a hole in the wall, round the side of the house, and back into the living room. The router and main phone are plugged into it at this point.

To be honest, this bit of wire is my prime suspect. It's an ordinary bit of telephone extension wire that's been exposed to the elements for who knows how many years. It was fitted by the previous owner of the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 30

then start with (3) - test socket as that will disconnect your extension and see if that works and if not move to changing router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
Message 7 of 30

Oh, that's useful to know, I didn't realise pulling the faceplate off disconnected the extension. Thanks for that!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

that was why I asked if extension wired to front plate of master or somewhere else as often for ease of connection it is wired to junction box before the master causing star wiring and ok for phone but bad for broadband

Contributor
Message 9 of 30

Looking at my router logs, it's been up and down all day.

Now I'm at home and have time to test things, it's staying connected. It's been up since 16:53, it's now 18:35.

Can't really do any useful testing unless the problem is actually happening, doh!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 30

Can you post stats from your router

0 Ratings