cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ackeiyword
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 53

Routing problems at BT

There's something going on at BT - people are reporting lots of problems accessing some sites. There doesn't seem to be an obvious common factor, and DNS problems have been pretty well ruled out. Traceroutes are timing out at various points within the BT ISP network.

This all started on Boxing Day. The quiet time between Christmas and New Year is often used by BT for network moves and changes. The fact that the problems are still there suggests that something is well borked. All this comes but a few weeks after the monumental problems caused by the Edinburgh BRAS servers.

What has gone wrong this time, I wonder ? 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
52 REPLIES 52
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 53

Re: Routing problems at BT

There seems to be ongoing routing problems

I have had an issue for weeks where my BT Home Hub would not always route traffic after I reset it.  Running the Check Connection tools from the Advanced tools on the Hub Administration Page, it reported all the layers were working, DSL, ATM etc, even the IP and Gateway, BUT not the DNS Servers.

A quick trace route showed that my packets were getting dropped about 4 hops into the network, hence no route to the DNS servers or much else.

However, after some trial and error I have spotted a consistent pattern.

When I reset my router (just Disconnect/Connect from the Internet using the browser options), I naturally get assigned a new public IP address.

If that IP address begins with 86.160.x.x, then routing doesn’t work.  Any other assigned IP address seems to be fine.

I reported this to BT over the last few days, but have struggled with customer support.  The first line of support staff are following the same script assuming that the problem is with my PC set-up.  After forcing my way up the chain a bit the next level ran signal checks on my DSL line, then closed the call log when that all checked out.  It doesn’t seem to be sinking in that this is a routing problem.

The only evidence I have is that my next door neighbour is suffering exactly the same problem.

So I wait to see.

Anyone else fancy trying this?....Disconnect/Reconnect your Internet connection using the home hub administration page (http://192.168.1.254) until you get a public IP address of 86.160.x.x.  Then watch your routing fail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 53

@CharlieF wrote:

If that IP address begins with 86.160.x.x, then routing doesn’t work.  Any other assigned IP address seems to be fine.

that's interesting as there is another post on the forums where you need an 86 address to access the newsgroups otherwise you get a 480 error. the problem is caused by having a 109 ip address.  The more often you have to reset your router to get the correct starting IP address for your needs the lower your profile will go 

BT need to get there act together and fix the ip address problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
strontium90
Expert
Message 4 of 53

Seen This on The Kitz site

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9116.0.html

BT - 20/21CN (Home/Office) National Maintenance

12:00am, 14th April 2011

BT are completing various maintenance work over the next few weeks and we're going to list this in one posting.

14th April 2011 at 02:00-04:00
 BT have informed us of planned engineering works necessary to replace a BT exchange system card which is running at risk in the Cambridge Central exchange.

14th April 2011 at 03:30-05:00
 BT have informed us of planned engineering works necessary to replace a BT exchange system card which is running at risk in the Manchester Irlam exchange.

15th April 2011 at 00:01-06:00
 BT have informed us of planned engineering works necessary to replace a BT exchange system card which is running at risk in the East Rudham exchange.

18th April 2011 at 00:01-06:00
 BT have informed us of planned engineering works necessary to perform a physical change out of ATM Line Cards and a software upgrade necessary to migrate from Junos 7.3 to Junos 10.2 in the Edinburgh Colossus exchange.

19th April 2011 at 00:01-06:00
 BT have informed us of planned engineering works necessary to replace a BT exchange system card which is running at risk in the Hawkhurst exchange.

20th April 2011 at 00:01-06:00
 BT have informed us of planned engineering works necessary to perform a physical change out of ATM Line Cards and a software upgrade necessary to migrate from Junos 7.3 to Junos 10.2 in the Edinburgh Colossus exchange.

21st April 2011 at 00:01-06:00

26th April 2011 at 00:01-06:00

4th May 2011 at 00:01-06:00
 BT have informed us of planned engineering works necessary to perform a physical change out of ATM Line Cards and a software upgrade necessary to migrate from Junos 7.3 to Junos 10.2 in the Edinburgh Capital exchange.

6:00am, 4th May 2011

Expected end time.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 53

this the sort of thing that should be posted on the forum by BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 53

Bit like this too...

http://usertools.plus.net/status/status.xml

(based from a isp (owned by BT Group). Not directly BTr but shows BT incidents)

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 53

oh and this...

http://status.aaisp.net.uk/

(Bit more technical reports though, and based from a isp. Not directly BT but shows BT incidents)

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 53

Just to add to my original posting...

After 5 calls to BT's helpdesk, I was put through to a supervisor who seemed very keen to prove it was a problem at my end.  But I persuaded her to do a trace route back to my assigned 86.160 IP address at the time.  Whatever appeared on her screen, she did acknowledge a routing problem.

My logged call is still open but it is listed as a "1 - Problem with BT residential servers" and is not with the exchange, local line or customer equipment.

So I think they now believe me.

If BT are reading this forum, you might want to note that the investigation script used by the call centre support staff stops just short of checking for routing problems.  Having shown that I couldn't ping google from my PC, just one more trace route would have proved the problem was in the network and not at my end.  Sadly, the first operator I called advised me to sign up to a new 12 month contract and get a replacement hub.  Not great customer service.

Charlie.

0 Ratings
P-a-u-l
Contributor
Message 9 of 53

Sounds like the issue I detailed here:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Constant-slow-Internet-browsing-but-fast-downl...

Good to know BT are destroying their own customer base by mismanaging DNS !!!!!! How on earth this can go on for so many months is outrageous...........

0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 53

I haven't touched my home hub for 5 days, but I have just lost my previously assigned (working) WAN IP address.

So it looks like the DHCP lease time for assigned IP's is about 5 days.

Naturally, I was then assigned an IP starting 86.160, and it stopped routing 4 hops into the BT network (again).

My logged fault from 6 days ago is still open.  Not that I have a real problem with this.  If it is routing problems on the BT network, I wouldn't like to be the engineering team implementing that change.

If anyone else just finds their BB stops working, I'd be interested to know if your WAN IP begins 86.160.x.x

Charlie

(using an alternative connection to the net)

0 Ratings