Account: news.btinternet.com
   Server: news.btinternet.com
   Protocol: NNTP
   Port: 119
   Secure(SSL): 0
   Error Number: 480
   Code: 800ccca4

And sure enough, I have an IP address of 109.145.xx.xxx

Strange that my HH rebooted just 2.5 hrs ago, which is when this problem arose - for the first time ever I think - having rebooted only about 2 days ago. Normally it seems to go for a month or so.

IM Jolly said that's interesting as there is another post on the forums where you need an 86 address to access the newsgroups otherwise you get a 480 error. the problem is caused by having a 109 ip address.  The more often you have to reset your router to get the correct starting IP address for your needs the lower your profile will go

So what should I do please BT? Wait patiently for the engineers to fix this, or reboot my HH in the hope of getting a stable IP address, and risk upsetting the profile?

Why is there nothing on the Service Status page about this?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 53

Re: Routing problems at BT

I just spotted this thinkbroadband thread:

BT have a number of ranges and the 109 block is a fairly new addition

So is it possible they have misconfigured something that prevents access to the news servers by customers who are allocated a 109 block address?

Is it a DNS allocation issue?

(I know very little indeed about DNS etc)

Still getting the 480 authentication error message and can't access ngs today.

0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 53

So what should I do please BT? Wait patiently for the engineers to fix this, or reboot my HH in the hope of getting a stable IP address, and risk upsetting the profile?

At the risk of stepping out of my area of expertises, I believe that if you use the home hub’s administration page (192.168.1.254) to “Disconnect” followed by a “Connect”, that you will not affect your IP profile.

I think the DLM at the exchange reacts to a loss of DSL carrier signal (when you power cycle the hub) and considers this a possible sign of fault or noise on the line.

In contrast, when you Disconnect/Connect gracefully using the hub tools, this only ends your session at the PPP protocol layer.  A bit like logging out, then logging into your PC.  This will also obtain you a new WAN IP address, and solve routing issues (until the next time).

My only proof is that I disconnected/connected about 50 times in 20 minutes using the hub tools, and my profile is fine.

But I can’t warrant this result.  Perhaps a MOD could comment?

Charlie

Message 14 of 53

@CharlieF wrote:

At the risk of stepping out of my area of expertises, I believe that if you use the home hub’s administration page (192.168.0.1) to “Disconnect” followed by a “Connect”, that you will not affect your IP profile.

My only proof is that I disconnected/connected about 50 times in 20 minutes using the hub tools, and my profile is fine.

mine's 192.168.1.254 -  HH 1.5 v 6.2.6.E

Did you get a new IP address each time? Or did you have to do it 50 times to get a new address?

Anyway, why should customers have to go to all this trouble if the problem is with BT's infrastructure?

It would be great to get some feedback from BT about this. I can't look on bt.broadband.announce because I can't access the ngs! But that rarely reflects reality. Maybe more are reporting on bt.broadband.support but I can't reach that of course.

And there's still nothing on the Status Page - about this or the World of Warcraft problems. What is the point of a Service Status Page if it's wrong?

Can a mod please give us some information on the 109 block of IP addresses and the news server issue?

We use usenet a lot, and this is really cheesing us off.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 53

there are posts on the newsgroup bt.broadband.support about this problem I think by Andy N from the forum.  Bt newsgroup support have now posted that they are looking into this problem now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 16 of 53

Thank you very much for taking that trouble imjolly.

Can the Mods please tell whoever runs the Service Status page to update it to match what imjolly has told us support have said on the ngs? In light of that, the Service Status information is wrong and misleading, and very unhelpful.

0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 53

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Did you get a new IP address each time? Or did you have to do it 50 times to get a new address?

Anyway, why should customers have to go to all this trouble if the problem is with BT's infrastructure?

I did get a new IP every time.  I did it 50 times to try and spot the pattern as to which source IP addresses were not routing correctly.  I had to make an Excel spreadsheet up before I spotted the 86.160 pattern.

You are right, customers certainly shouldn't have to force new IP addresses to get things working.  Unfortunately, it looks like the DHCP lease time on the Hub WAN IP is a "few" days (possibly 3-6 days), so your IP will change.

My neighbour got me into this when he reported that his internet would work fine for a few weeks, then stop working for a few days, then come back on again (without him doing anything).  Looks like new IPs each time.  We both get an 86.160 50% of the time.

Charlie.

CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 53

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

mine's 192.168.1.254 -  HH 1.5 v 6.2.6.E

Oops, that was the IP address I meant to say.  Thanks.  (previous post edited)

I also have HH 1.5

Charile

Message 19 of 53

BT haven't fixed this problem still. 109 range still faulty this morning.

So I hit Disconnect on the HH Manager and immediately hit Connect.

No change in Connection time shows Smiley Surprised No change in stats apparently.

But it gave me an IP address in the 86.148.xxx.xx range and access to the newsgoups is re-established Smiley Happy

Thanks for the advice CharlieF and imjolly

Now that I'm back in contact I see the whole thread on bt.broadband.support entitled

FAO support. IP address range 109.xxx.xxx.xxx

BT are taking their time over fixing this. They don't seem to care much - nothing on the Status page still and no official guidance as to how to fix this. And there's been nothing all along on bt.broadband.announce, just the constant "assurance" that

BTYahoo! Home Customers:
There are currently no reported problems on BT Yahoo! Broadband.

OK so your customers have found a workaround BT - don't you think you might just post something on the Status page with the fix that they have found in case it might care for others who are suffering and haven't found these threads?

Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 53

@imjolly wrote:

there are posts on the newsgroup bt.broadband.support about this problem I think by Andy N from the forum.  Bt newsgroup support have now posted that they are looking into this problem now

Indeed that was me. I've had various 109 IP addresses over recent weeks preventing newsgroup access. This has happened before when IP addresses get added to the pool. The process to either inform the firewall people or Giganews to allow access has somehow failed.