Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 41 of 53

Re: Routing problems at BT

Hi CharlieF,

I am sorry that you have not heard from me.  I sent you an email on the 17/05/2011, did you receive this email?

Basically we have checked this issue from our end and cannot locate any faults.  The email I sent you had a few things for you to try.  If these suggestion do not help then I can go back to our tech guys for more advise but they are wanting you to try.

Please let me know if you did not receive that email and I will resend straight away.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 42 of 53

Sean

My sincere apologies; you did indeed send me an e-mail on 17th, but it didn’t make it through my spam filter. I have it now, and will run some tests immediately.

Thank you
Charlie
0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 53

@CharlieF wrote:
My sincere apologies; you did indeed send me an e-mail on 17th, but it didn’t make it through my spam filter. I have it now, and will run some tests immediately.

Ok Sean, I have run all of the tests/changes - none worked I'm afraid.  I've e-mailed you back a full response.

In summary (for the public forum).

1) You wanted to check this is still a problem - it is.  I've obtained 5 86.160 IP addresses today - none worked.

2) You wanted me to set the DNS servers (on my PC) manually.  This didn't fix it.  But this is as expected for several reasons.

- I can't ping servers on the WAN by IP address alone, eliminating DNS as the problem anyway.

- The home hub itself reports the problem, so nothing I do on my PC is going to help.

3) You wanted me to flush the WinSock catalogue on my PC.  I've done this, no difference.  Worth noting that the same problem is visible on my Ubuntu Linux machine as well as Windows (Vista and 7).

So thank you for the suggestions, happy to eliminate the basics.

But from my chair, the problem doesn't half look like a routing table problem on 217.47.154.142 (or beyond), labelled as esr11.miltonkeynes4.broadband.bt.net

The problem still remains.

Charlie

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 44 of 53

Charlie,

Awesome, thanks for that.  Right I have sent off your comments to the team dealing with this.  Wont get a reply until Monday but I will be back in touch then.

Sorry this is taken so long to sort out.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 45 of 53

Just for completeness, this is what my HH V1.0 reports when I have an 86.160 IP address

You can see that the hub can get to the gateway, but doesn't get a response from the DNS servers.  The HH V2 doesn't report this level of detail (but still suffers the problem).

Hub Report

0 Ratings
FarmerOz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 53

Whilst I appreciate this is an old thread, I have the same fault.

I have not yet checked my IP address when failure happens, but the fault has all the same hallmarks.

Also I note that my connection speed gets reset downwards each time this happens, which is irritating. I currently have a relatively slow connection because the noise margin has been jacked up to an excessive 14.3/21 dB (D/U).

0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 47 of 53

@FarmerOz2 wrote:

Whilst I appreciate this is an old thread, I have the same fault.

I have not yet checked my IP address when failure happens, but the fault has all the same hallmarks.

[...] 

I'm very glad to say that BT (Wholesale) did fix this problem, after a lot of chasing by the mods on this forum.  However, it involved removing the 86.160 IP address range from the pool available at my exchange, so I can't say that they actually fixed the routing problem, just that I now never get assigned an IP address that suffers from it.

If you think you do have the same or similar routing issue, in my experience it is vital that you record your WAN IP address.  Once you've done this, go to the hub page http://192.168.1.254 (HH V2.0) -> A..Z, Broadband, then do Disconnect followed by a connect.

This will most likely resolve any immediate routing issue, but do note the new WAN IP address you are assigned.  If you spot a pattern (it might not be 86.160.x.x addresses), then post this on the forum.

But I'm also aware that routing problems are rare, compared to wireless/PC/DSL signal/filter/cabling problems that seems to cause 99.9% of peoples' issues. 

Charlie

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 53

Hi FarmerOz2

I can have your fault looked into for you please send us an email using the contact us address in my profile you will find this address in the section 'about me'.

This will present you with a form which will ask you for all the details we will need to investigate further.

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
FarmerOz2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 53

Disconnect/connect hasn't worked the few times I have used it.

Modem reboot does do it (may have failed once, I forget). 

I have to say my initial feeling was that it was a modem software glitch since it seems strange to me that some IP numbers cannot reach the nameservers every few days! However I will try a few pings next time it happens.

However, I don't know how this is handled so what would I know?

NB Data sent to esteemed moderator as requested. 

0 Ratings
CharlieF
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 53

@FarmerOz2 wrote:

Disconnect/connect hasn't worked the few times I have used it.

Modem reboot does do it (may have failed once, I forget). 

[...] 

Do note that the BT DNS servers don't respond to pings normally, so a lack of ping response to DNS doesn't indicate a problem.

Modem/Hub reboots will also get a new IP address BUT, don't do this repeatedly otherwise the equipment at the exchange will think you have a poor line and will adjust your line speed down for a few days to compensate.  I think if you reboot/powercycle the hub, you need to leave if off for (err) at least 1 minute (?) for the IP profile to remain unaffected.

The main symptom of routing problems (in my experience), is being able to ping the hubs gateway router IP address in the BT network, but not browse the Internet.

When you experience the problem, try posting back the results of this command on your PC...

tracert -d 209.85.147..99

That will ping/trace route to a google server, without going near DNS.  It is a useful way to determine whether any problem is your side of the hub, or Internet/routing side.

Charlie

0 Ratings