Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 1 of 4

Rural Broadband

I'm not sure where to post this.

It's interesting to read today's news article on rural broadband, and the difficulty which BT is having in installing fast broadband to remote areas.

Just yesterday I received a leaflet about fibre to mast broadband (it went into the bin, as usual). It's available locally but it's not really competitive in price at the moment for the light user. Clearly, the business user would make good use of it.

Is BT or Openeach showing any interest in this as an alternative to FTTC?

There are several potential problems for the user, living in the leafy rural areas, as the communication to the mast must be line of sight. We have already seen the limitations of the HH4 and range of 5Ghz communication. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Rural Broadband

Im in the process of switching to a rural fixed wireless service and tbh i cant wait, being stuck on a substandard rural exchange isnt much fun!

to be fair, the prices are competative here (im guessing its a different provider where you are)  with a 10mb / 10mb service only £29.99 and a 25mb / 10mb service £34.99 with a 100gb down / 50gb up a month cap.

so there is a light at the end of the tunnel for us rural folks!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 4

@rob78 wrote:

Im in the process of switching to a rural fixed wireless service and tbh i cant wait, being stuck on a substandard rural exchange isnt much fun!

to be fair, the prices are competative here (im guessing its a different provider where you are)  with a 10mb / 10mb service only £29.99 and a 25mb / 10mb service £34.99 with a 100gb down / 50gb up a month cap.

so there is a light at the end of the tunnel for us rural folks!!

Price is about par for the course, even if it's a different provider to that available here.

I would assume that the suppliers are using the Openreach networks..... so it's not really advertising a BT competitor's product in the strictest meaning.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

yes fibre backhaul to telecoms house I presume so still "technically" goes through BT

0 Ratings