cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Rural infinity and getting the best out of it? please

Ok please bear with me I'm not that technical on networks etc.

I currently am in a rural location and get about 1meg speed, you may be laughing but we have been as low as 256k!

BT infinity is now possible to the cabinet which is about 1 mile away at 25.6mb, sounds good BUT

due to the poor speed we get now we are only on BB option 1 as using 10gb is hard to do am considering going for infinity option 1 but would increase my price per month and so want to get the most out of it.

To get the 1meg we eventually got bt to install new line, move master socket and have a front plate think V2000? which stops the broadband at the master socket, from reading I think this is what infinity does too? The wireless burglar alarm and other phone socket come off this box.

I use ethernet to connect to my IMAC and my husband uses his IPAD wirelessly.  We currently would not be able to watch movies on the tv or iplayer etc as our tv has no internet connection.  We also have brick internal walls and our house is very very wide so the hub currently doesn't give a strong enough signal from the study (master socket) to the master bedroom totally other end of the house.

So:

1) what is the best way to extend the wireless signal? airport extreme an option? (we have 2 different fuse boxes due to extensions of the house so the ones that use the internal wiring won't work)

2) what's the best way to get a signal to the tv so that we can make use of the 40gb by watching catch up tv, movies or trailers?

Sorry if I have waffled but thought background would be helpful still probably missed something out! 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Rural infinity and getting the best out of it? please

The best way and you are not going to like this is a Cat5 ethernet cable from the new HH3 to your old HH2 where ever you want that placed in the house.

The HH2 can be set up as a wireless reapter by going into it's settings and turning off DHCP and making sure it's on the same WIFI channel as the new HH3 and has the same encryption set up, also you will have to assign it a new IP address in the network settings to something like 192.168.1.251

The HH2 can then be connected via wirless and also has 3 extra ports where you can connect your TV directly.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

thanks for the help - any other ideas from anyone

how did you know I wouldn't like the idea?!? we have spent the last 3 years replastering, painting, bricking up doorways etc so don't really want extra wires running round the place! but I understand that wireless devices will mean I won't get a strong connection speed, the more I read all the posts about failure to attend and speeds not being what they should be the more I worry whether I should just not bother with infinity?  whose to say that the speed quoted will be that afterall when we moved here bt were happy to take our money for broadband even though afterwards on their site it said 256kb was all they could offer and therefore not suitable for broadband.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 6

By far the majority of people get speeds higher than advised on the checker. BT seem to be being conservative on their estimates.

Will your master socket and HH3 be on the same fusebox as your TV? Is so 200Mb homeplugs would work well for you. Obviously if not then it is not an option.

You could set up another router wirelessly as an AP but the speed would be be effectively cut by 50%.

It's a hard call to make without actually beong there to see what the problems may be.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Do you have more than one electricity meter? If not its likely that Homeplugs will work even if you have two consumer units as they are connected to the same feed. 

0 Ratings
jenfa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I only have one meter so looks like Homeplugs might be the way forward, will look into this.

I presume that I'd still need something like apple tv? and then another hub upstairs for the wifi for DH's ipad?

0 Ratings