cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Rural-ish broadband worse than dial up

Go to solution

Hi all,

Yes, another person on the forum seeking help with slow broadband. We've just moved into a village outside aylesbury. HP224DU is our postcode and I believe we are connected to the whitchurch exchange. We are having a terrible time with our broadband - sometimes it'll work ok, and performance is acceptable. Other times it will just time out, even on relatively light pages like the google home page.

To be clear, my expectations are pretty low, but as I work from home, not even being able to load gmail 1 in every 2 attempts is frustrating. So I'm hoping there is something we can do to make the connection more reliable.

I've ran the speed test, but I don't know what the "test port" is that I've read about, so I've just ran it as normal. I've turned off the other devices connected to the network.

I've tried to include as much detail as I can.

1.jpg

2.jpg

When I am using speedtest@speedtest_domain I cannot do the tap 3 test as it says the system is busy every time I try.

Other info from the logs:

21:34:43, 21 May.( 63.610000) DSL noise margin: 22.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
21:34:43, 21 May.( 63.460000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 5472 Kbps downstream

Hope there's something useful in that lot.

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Rural-ish broadband worse than dial up

Go to solution

Welcome to the forum

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run the diagnostic test and post results. Looks like your profile is low. Don't reset before test and use wired connection. Don't bother with test 3

are you connected to the test socket?  Are you having problems with connection dropping?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution
What does the test socket mean? Is that on the router? The socket in the wall only has one input.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

The test socket is here

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Ok I'll see if my socket has that.

As for the other test, once I've ran test 1 (as per the screenshosts I posted up), I click on further diagnostics. It runs another test (TAP 3), and once finishes I get:

FAQ

null

You appear to have not logged on as speedtest@speedtest_domain. In order to run the next test you should login as speedtest@speedtest_domain.

Please wait while you are redirected..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

This is the link to btspeedtester 

btspeedtester

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

From your stats you have a connection speed of 5.4mb but connection time was only about 30 min ago - was that a manual reset?  You need to maintain a stable connnection with no manual resets

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

I reset it manually in order to get that information from the log - the alternative was to go back through 300 pages looking for it.

That's the first time I had reset the router in a week.

I'm on the test socket now and will do the speed test again see if it works. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

If test sicket now can you repost the router stats please

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

The download speed is fine - when it works I can download a 100mb file in a few minutes. I'm not expecting my old virgin fibre connection out in the sticks. It's the fact that 50% of web pages just timeout with no data. I have to refresh the page. I don't know if its the upload or some kind of packet loss (the speed site just timed out which is kind of ironic :)).

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks for your replies btw.

0 Ratings