Yes, another person on the forum seeking help with slow broadband. We've just moved into a village outside aylesbury. HP224DU is our postcode and I believe we are connected to the whitchurch exchange. We are having a terrible time with our broadband - sometimes it'll work ok, and performance is acceptable. Other times it will just time out, even on relatively light pages like the google home page.
To be clear, my expectations are pretty low, but as I work from home, not even being able to load gmail 1 in every 2 attempts is frustrating. So I'm hoping there is something we can do to make the connection more reliable.
I've ran the speed test, but I don't know what the "test port" is that I've read about, so I've just ran it as normal. I've turned off the other devices connected to the network.
I've tried to include as much detail as I can.
When I am using speedtest@speedtest_domain I cannot do the tap 3 test as it says the system is busy every time I try.
Other info from the logs:
|21:34:43, 21 May.||( 63.610000) DSL noise margin: 22.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream|
|21:34:43, 21 May.||( 63.460000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 5472 Kbps downstream|
Hope there's something useful in that lot.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Welcome to the forum
can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run the diagnostic test and post results. Looks like your profile is low. Don't reset before test and use wired connection. Don't bother with test 3
are you connected to the test socket? Are you having problems with connection dropping?
The test socket is here
Ok I'll see if my socket has that.
As for the other test, once I've ran test 1 (as per the screenshosts I posted up), I click on further diagnostics. It runs another test (TAP 3), and once finishes I get:
This is the link to btspeedtester
From your stats you have a connection speed of 5.4mb but connection time was only about 30 min ago - was that a manual reset? You need to maintain a stable connnection with no manual resets
I reset it manually in order to get that information from the log - the alternative was to go back through 300 pages looking for it.
That's the first time I had reset the router in a week.
I'm on the test socket now and will do the speed test again see if it works.
If test sicket now can you repost the router stats please
The download speed is fine - when it works I can download a 100mb file in a few minutes. I'm not expecting my old virgin fibre connection out in the sticks. It's the fact that 50% of web pages just timeout with no data. I have to refresh the page. I don't know if its the upload or some kind of packet loss (the speed site just timed out which is kind of ironic :)).
Thanks for your replies btw.