cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Rural speed issue - help interpreting xdslcmd stats

Hi, I'm looking to get some help diagnosing a serious issue with my BT Infinity connection. A few points:

- We live in the middle of nowhere and were just about able to get 512kbps standard broadband

- We were promised 'up to 20.4mbps' BT infinity when BT installed it in our area (Co Down)

- A revised figure of 5meg was given to us when the order was completed

I was concerned at the speed we were getting (nowhere near the revised figure) so we called / tweeted some time ago to see about getting help, getting a reply that someone would look into it. But then we never got called back. So now I'm trying the forums. 

I ran xdslcmd to see what the problem might be. Attached is some of the output graphed at 2 times (today and 3 or 4 days ago). Any ideas on what could be done? Or am I simply too far from the exchange / the line's too bad to get any decent speed? Are there any other useful tests I could run? 

Can I get BT to do anything about this?

Thanks,

Tristan

line_stats_p-20120710-1008.png

line_stats_p-20120713-1453.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Message 2 of 7

Re: Rural speed issue - help interpreting xdslcmd stats

OK, this morning our dpwnload speed is <800kbps...

line_stats_p-20120714-0919.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 7

you could try posting here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre.html
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 7

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Cheers - I guess this may be too technical for this forum? I was kind of hoping to get a 'technical' person at BT to have a look rather than the standard 'have you plugged your computer directly into the router' level.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

this is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence are the forum moderators

we  cannot advise  on problems of this nature as  the openreach modem is a locked device  and it is against forum rules  to advise on hacked devices 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Yes, understood. Was trying all angles to get some technical understanding of the issue and hopefully get it noticed by someone who could actually resolve it. Onwards.
0 Ratings