cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

S/N Ratio BT vs Talktalk

I have both BT and Talktalk broadband on two seperate phone BT lines with the copper wires going into the same pole and to the same exchange about 3 miles away.

The S/N figures for the two lines are completely different:

BT Up 6.3db  Down 5.2db

Talktalk Up 11.1db Down 11.6db

Is this likely to be down to the quality of the respective ISPs equipment in the exchange or some problem with the copper on one of the lines (the BT one)?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: S/N Ratio BT vs Talktalk

no two pairs of copper are the same and the difference in noise margin is very little from your figures

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

1db of line noise is nothing to worry about.

As imjolly says, no 2 are different. One might have a slightly worse joint somewhere or something like that.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Hi TT tend to default noise margin to 12db to improve stability i know quite a few of there customers and they are all on 12db
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Sorry chaps I think you are missing the point of my question

BT = 6.3db   Talktalk 11.1db

I know it is a long time since I went to school and did logs but I think in absolute terms this is a factor of 3

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Sorry you're right, I misread.

As John has stated though, it's probably that talk talk have the target SNR margin at a higher value to improve stability on the circuit.

If your BT line is stable, then it's the talk talk line that needs to have the SNR reduced. But this might bring about instability on the line.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

like webby I misread your post sorry

then problwem is as john46 suggests

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings