cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

S/N ratio reset delay period

I have had a line that is intermittently noisy now for about 11 years. It works well most of the time but once or twice a year, it goes a bit noisy for a few hours and my broadband sync speed drops from about 4500kbps to a few hundred kbps. For several weeks after such an event important things like internet banking, online food shopping etc become much slower and more difficult that they should be.

I live in fear of calling out BT the next time it happens as I all my spare money is currently going towards looking after my 9 month old boy so I daren't risk a call out fee if the engineer fails to find the problem.

How long should it be after a noisy line problem dissapears before the S/N ration gets reset back to 6dB?

(I suppose another important question would be how to get the intermittent problem fixed but I am past believing this ideal solution will ever happenSmiley Sad)

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: S/N ratio reset delay period

Hi,

The forums are customer to customer in the first instance, Only the mods (BT) will ask for personal information through a email link. Would you mind posting your Hub stats & BT speed test results this will help all with diagnosis-

To post the full stats from your router
for home hub - 192.168.1.254
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right
Click on More Details and then post the results.
Run BT speed tester and post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

If possible it would be best to connect to the BT master socket this will rule out any telephone/broadband extension wiring. Also consider the housing of the hub/router as anything electrical can cause problems as these are your responsibility, if these are found to be the case Openreach (engineer) will charge BT Broadband, which will be passed onto you, around £130.00.

Noisy line! When making telephone calls, if so this is not good for your broadband, you can check-

Quite line test dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing best done with old type analogue phone digital (dect) will do but may have slight hiss If you hear noise- crackling pops etc, report it as a noisy line on your phone, don’t mention broadband, Bt Faults on 151.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 9

So long as a fault is not found in your own equipment you should not be charged, I have had many visits for an intermittent fault and never the slightest hint of trying to charge me when it was made clear that I was aware that the fault was not internal.

As for the IP profile resetting, if you see the issue then you are on one of the two older methods.

The oldest method, being phased out as far as i can tell, takes 3 days from the time you have a higher connecton rate, so long as your connection rate in that period does not drop back down again to whatever value you are on at the time.

The newer method called adapative max was rolled out to some exchanges since around 2006 or so and my exchange was updated last year. under this method it depends on how big a jump, but if you are seeing web sites that slow then you would probablly be looking at 4 or 12 hours (often +2 hours to that value) for the change, but the system varies for smaller dumps all the way up to 5 days for a tiny jump at very fast speeds.

your profile may also have a tendancy to stick, if so then sometimes it sees to reset in 3 or so days, othertimes it will not reset at all and needs the mods to reset it.

running the BT speedtester lets you know your IP profile value and can help diagnose if it is stuck or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

The IP profile resetting delay of 3 days seems to be what I am getting. Each time the S/N ratio drops 3dB and the sync rate goes up, I do indeed get about a 1/2 week delay before my profile increases to the expected value. That is interesting information about the two different IP profile reset methods, I guess Ambergate is still on the older method.

The specific problem I have got just now is that even with my modem (Netgear DG834PN) reporting an uptime of 180 hours (7.5 days) at a sync rate of 3808 & S/N ration that varies between 8.2 and 9.9dB depending on the time of day, I am still not back up to the target S/N ratio of 6dB which would give me an expected sync rate of 4400 to 4700kbps. At 180 hours of uptime we had a power outage, the modem resync'ed to a target S/N of 9dB and I am left wondering how many days/weeks it will be before I can both download files while my wife watches the BBC iPlayer in high def modeSmiley Wink

I would guess that this target S/N ratio delay is controlled by the Ambergate exchange, or can it be reset by a call to someone at BT?

Forgive me for not getting back to the previous post with my modem status page just yet, but I have previously proven that when I plug my BT phone directly into the master socket with nothing else connected the line really is noisy, and I have tried 2 different modems also plugged directly into a filter in the master socket, so it is not a modem or internal wiring problem.

My comment about charges stems from one BT visit when the engineer told me that unless he booked his visit down as "customer did not turn up", I would get charged for the call-out that did not find the source of the noisy line on that day. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

hi if the line is noisy at the test socket then the problem is with the BT part of the connection therefore no charge and that need resolving before your broadband can improve you need to call BT Faults on 151 and report a noisy line but do not mention broadband when you call
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

I have just been able to answer my own question on getting back in from work and checking my router.

After a total of about 12 days with only 1 reset in the middle, the target S/N ratio has finally gone back to 6dB and a sync rate of 4480. I expect a 3 day delay now (thanks ramie67) for the profile to catch up.

And if the line goes noisy again when I am able to take time off work, I'll go down the 151 route.Smiley Wink

Thanks everyone for the help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 9

personally I would try the quiet line test now and then even when you don't see any issue just in case you catch it, until you get that sorted you will keep getting issues. You may find that your neighbours have similar issues and perhaps can all report them together?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I have asked all my neighbours if they have noisy line problems, and they don't. It is just my line. Over the past 10 years the 3 different lengths of copper between the Ambergate exchange and the junction box 10m from my house have all been changed.

My wife iis now pre-programmed (bless herSmiley Happy) to let me know when the line is noisy. Also, I have Routerstats Lite install on one PC and a dithering S/N ratio graph lets me see if there has been a problem each day.

What is really annoying is that the line only goes noisy for a few hours (normally after heavy rain!) but each time I have called out BT, the fault has gone. When the time the line is tested, the noise has gone and the line tests perfectly. Even the leakage to earth is minimal and the both legs are 100% balanced.

I have just tried the quiet line test. It is really quiet & I have a sync speed of 4480 (not bad for a 4.2km local loop length). I've even considered getting a 2nd line installed, then getting rid of the 1st one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 9

LOL

Noisy line, heavy rain, getting 2nd line.... been there and done all of that.

It is POSSIBLE that your issue could be the same as mine and be REIN induced if you ONLY get the issues during bad weather, if you get them other times as well then probably not (not still could be).

During heavy rain how soon do you see the issues, if immediate then it is probably REIN or an overhead fault.

Have a look at http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Strange-broadband-effect-issue-suggestions-nee..., it may match your issues, look from around page 30 onwards or so.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings