cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

SALT Test

I've just dialled 175 from my phone and got the line test facility - not 17070, but it reads your number, you hang up and it calls back 30 seconds or so later. I thought this had been phased out when the switch from System X to 21CN happened.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: SALT Test

The SALT (Subscribers Automatic Line Test) is something I have not heard about for a very long time. It surprises me that it still works on your exchange.

See http://www.gbnet.net/net/uk-telecom/p3-15.html

"

What is the number that will dial my 'phone back to test the ringing?

Dialling 174 on modern electronic exchanges.will make the exchange ring back when you put the phone on hook.

On a System X/Y dialling 177 will make the exchange read out your number, and dialling 175 will produce the exchange test...

A replacement for both 174 and 175 has also been mentioned, which is

Ringing 17070 results in

"This circuit is defined as <number> "   and then   " BT line test
   facilities, please press 1 for ring-back test or clear down."

Keying 1 then results in
 "BT ring-back test, please clear down."

After a few seconds, phone rings, and announcement is
 "BT ring-back test completed."

Contributor
Message 3 of 6

When I rang 177 there was silence for about 30 seconds then it did "please hang up and try again", which was almost the same thing the first time I did 175, however it then went into reading the number etc. However when I ring 175 now there is no wait and it goes straight into line test, which would point towards some sort of initialisation first time round. I wonder whether 175 works on your line, Keith, with a wait of about 30 seconds when you ring?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

P.S. Thanks for the link - very interesting. I'll have to test some of the codes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

No, I just get number not recognised.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Would this be a sign that I'm on System X equipment?

0 Ratings