cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teresajc1962
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

SCAM CALL ABOUT UNUSUALLY BIG BILL

I have just joined the forum to make people aware about a scam call I received at work from 'BT' yesterday.   It was an Irish man who claimed that he wanted to make me aware and discuss, that our two bills (we have 3!) were excessively high and we would be receiving them within the next week.  Alarm bells rang because I had paid our 3 x quarterly bills the week before.  I asked him to confirm the amounts of our previous quarter bills.  He gave me figures that did not match and said he couldn't go back any further on his system.  He asked me questions and I told him that he was BT (supposedly) and he should be able to tell me the answers.  He then started to get irate and said the big bills would need to be paid at the end of the month so I told him I would wait for the bills to arrive and if we were concerned about them, we would ring the number on the bill.  He then said 'I am just trying to help you and if you end up getting a big big thats your look out' (not a very proffessional approach!) so I just said 'goodbye' and hung up. 

What I'm not sure about is, what the caller hoped to achieve.  Was he trying to lure me into disclosing account numbers or maybe bank details etc.? Has anybody else experienced a call similar to this.  I tried to phone BT but just got an Indian call centre that, to put it politely, were useless.  But they did tell me that nobody from BT had phoned me that day.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
pierce36
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: SCAM CALL ABOUT UNUSUALLY BIG BILL

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't received a call like that so far and if I will, I'd know what to do. 

From what you posted, I think the person was indeed trying to get you to disclose financial information. He was counting on you to decide to pay ahead and give him bank information. Hmm... Nice try.

0 Ratings
pierce36
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

If I get a call like that, I'd report the phone number to http://www.callercenter.com right away. If they called me, I bet they're calling other people, too. It would help a lot to warn everybody else ahead.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@pierce36 wrote:

If I get a call like that, I'd report the phone number to http://www.callercenter.com right away. If they called me, I bet they're calling other people, too. It would help a lot to warn everybody else ahead.

I don't think reporting it to the callercenter.com is going to do any good:

[quote]CallerCenter.com is a free consumer complaints board for reporting telephone calls.

trouble is it's American : After filing a complaint we suggest you also report the telephone numbers to the FCC.

If they are purporting to be from BT, then yes inform BT if you have the number/make customers aware of it, but under no cercumstances give out any personal details to anyone on the phone. Give them the proverbial mouthfull and then hang up

Most of these type of calls are witheld numbers or spoofed numbers.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings