cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pint6x
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

SCAM?

I have just received a call from someone claiming to be from BT Support. Heavy far-eastern accent, which may not necessarily be the giveaway, but when I asked for an 0800 number to call them on, they gave me this number: 0161 818 6977 which, although a Manchester number, I believe diverts to India.

Doing a 1471 brought this number up: 0060 8151 - 0060 is Malaysia.

Caller sounded very plausible, took me into the CMD line prompt, asked me to do an ASSOC cmd, so far no breach of security, then told me a long number which appeared at the bottom of the subsequent display, the ZFSENDTOTARGET number starting with CLSID.

I asked why they hadn't taken me through a security process, and they said they didn't need to. They gave me my postcode, but then quoted me an incorrect address. The woman got very shirty when I said the address was wrong so, being the ever-polite gentleman that I am,  I told her to eff off and hung up.

Please watch this one because it seemed fairly plausible. As someone who prides himself on being able to smell any scam BS from 50 paces, this was one of the most convincing yet.

Cheers - PB

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: SCAM?

@pint6x wrote:

I have just received a call from someone claiming to be from BT Support. Heavy far-eastern accent, which may not necessarily be the giveaway, but when I asked for an 0800 number to call them on, they gave me this number: 0161 818 6977 which, although a Manchester number, I believe diverts to India.

Doing a 1471 brought this number up: 0060 8151 - 0060 is Malaysia.

Caller sounded very plausible, took me into the CMD line prompt, asked me to do an ASSOC cmd, so far no breach of security, then told me a long number which appeared at the bottom of the subsequent display, the ZFSENDTOTARGET number starting with CLSID.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I've had a few of these (but not pretending to be BT support), and always wind them up. I even seemed to convince one idiot that what they were doing was wrong and said the CLSID number of the item is same for every single person using windows. The chap tried his best to say it wasn't, but in the end he gave up.

I then asked him what he believed CLSID stood for, he thought is was something to do with the ID of the user, and not Class Identifier.

This scam has actually been ongoing for a number of years.

0 Ratings
pint6x
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Andy_N wrote:

I've had a few of these (but not pretending to be BT support), and always wind them up. I even seemed to convince one idiot that what they were doing was wrong and said the CLSID number of the item is same for every single person using windows. The chap tried his best to say it wasn't, but in the end he gave up.

I then asked him what he believed CLSID stood for, he thought is was something to do with the ID of the user, and not Class Identifier.

Thanks for the info.

I shall now take great pleasure in winding them up if they ever call back.

0 Ratings
BruceTheSheep
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I, too, have had a call today from BT - a woman with a heavy Indian accent. The "excuse" was that my WiFi had been getting balsted by lots of viruses and that my AV software only protected my computer and "my Internet". So BT needed to send me a new super-duper router (well, she didn't say super-duper). But before they could do that they needed to check my system. I went along with this to see where it was leading. We did the CLSID lookup and then when she wanted me to start installing something I told her I would first check with BT. She said this wasn't necessary as the installation process would verify she was from BT. I hung up at this point.

0 Ratings
Howey25
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Mick

County Durham

Just had the same call from BT saying theyu have detected virusus on my router, i went along CRM and than ASSOC, she read out the ZF identification number, all the wya through i asked he what mmy account details are. she replied the phone calll is being recordered and coulnt give that information out. i told her i was going know further intil she could prove who she was, she started to get abrupt and wouldnt let me speak, i just told her i havent got a clue who you are so leav it at that, she replied im going to switch off you router it will go to red and put the phone down they rang from a Luton Number 01582 621852. 

0 Ratings