Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Feejus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

SFTP speed issue after downloading over 1Tb / Infinity 2 Throttle On SFTP & FTP

Hi all,

I have been seeing two diffrent issue at my location and i have pinned this down to the fact that BT does some sort of Throttling even for their Unlimited customers. The second issue i have seen is a massive drop of speed (maybe linked to my cabinet) from 5.24 MB/sec to about 4.26 MB/sec. I used to get 43Mbit and now it is almost 35Mbit.

Connection: BT infinity 2 - 42 Mbit connection stable

Troubleshooting: Reboot HH, reboot the modem, removed all devices etc nothing does help.

My main problem is that I currently have seedbox and download data through SFTP from this one location. However I have noticed that my speed has dropped drasticly to the sFTP during the peak hours. I also have enabled some logging about the amount of data transfer i have done over the month and i have hit 1.27 TB.

Proof:

Out of nowhere i noticed that my connection speed to the sFTP dropped from 4.26MB/sec to about 400Kbit/sec this is a 10th of the speed i can get. So I did alot of troubleshooting. However it is very clear that it is BT who is doing some sort of speed reduction against this specific URL / IP address almost like point to point because nothing else gets affacted.

So to be able to provide proof that my connection is tampred and BT is breaking their T&C i ran a VPN connection across the routers. After running the VPN i noticed the speed of the sFTP increased to on avrage 3.3 MB/sec. Running some Tracert i can clearly see this issue is down with BT.

May i please ask someone who is officialy working for BT to get in touch with me in regards to this matter and explain why they do this? I am not the only one with this issue as you can see on this thread below.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-2-Throttle-On-SFTP-amp-FTP/td-p/13...

tracert nqhf173.dediseedbox.com

Tracing route to nqhf173.dediseedbox.com [95.211.168.5]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AC68U-0188 [10.10.10.62]
2 72 ms 62 ms 58 ms 10.10.11.1
3 68 ms 73 ms 72 ms 95.143.196.1
4 69 ms 57 ms 57 ms MX-CORE1.internetport.se [95.143.207.229]
5 90 ms 104 ms 96 ms 213.132.98.113
6 81 ms 96 ms 74 ms 83.145.21.205
7 95 ms 89 ms 90 ms netnod-ix-ge-b-sth-1500.leaseweb.com [194.68.128.160]
8 91 ms 103 ms 88 ms 31.31.34.10
9 108 ms 120 ms 110 ms 31.31.38.89
10 111 ms 108 ms 110 ms tengige0-1-0-2.evo-hvc3.leaseweb.net [81.17.32.217]
11 107 ms 108 ms 107 ms nqhf173.dediseedbox.com [95.211.168.5]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Feejus>tracert nqhf173.dediseedbox.com

Tracing route to nqhf173.dediseedbox.com [95.211.168.5]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 2 ms <1 ms FEEJUS [10.10.10.62]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 11 ms 12 ms 13 ms 31.55.187.176
5 12 ms 7 ms 18 ms core1-hu0-8-0-1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.176]
6 10 ms 16 ms 27 ms peer1-et-10-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.3]
7 20 ms 18 ms 11 ms 109.159.253.49
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 21 ms 29 ms 16 ms nqhf173.dediseedbox.com [95.211.168.5]

I am happy to provide much more in depth detail over this.

Please also note that like the other thread, Raising a ticket with support is like speaking to a donkey, the support don't understand the technical issue raised and all they want to do is to send out an engineer!!

Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: SFTP speed issue after downloading over 1Tb / Infinity 2 Throttle On SFTP & FTP

See

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/~/traffic-management

Probably just congestion.

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

This is a public forum which can be viewed worldwide, so please do not post any personal information, especially phone numbers, account numbers, fault numbers, address information or email addresses, as this could be used to impersonate you.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: SFTP speed issue after downloading over 1Tb / Infinity 2 Throttle On SFTP & FTP

If you're only getting 42meg then you're wasting money being on Infinity 2. You should really just be on Infinity 1.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Feejus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your input. I have already read that document. However I had until recently proof that there was some sort of mangment of traffic going on or BT has an issue currently in their network.

Like I said, over VPN the traffic was about 8 - 10 times faster against the FTP server while without VPN it was far slower. The only way it can be explained (unless there is someone who understand traffic and congestion better than me) is that some sort of traffic mangment is going on / fair use policy. Mind you that on my router the stat indicated that over the last month i had over 1TB of downloaded.

Also if you look at the IP address: 109.159.253.49 from the tracert, that IP belongs to BT, now at that stage the traffic never left BTs network.

It seems to me that while BT officialy does say they do not have any Traffic managment in place they do have something in place. If you also look at the other post which i provided a link to, they too experienced same issue as i had. With that said i was hoping someone from BT would respond to this post and help out to find the root cause of this matter.

Thnx

0 Ratings
Feejus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi Webby

Thank you very much for your suggestion, but i would like to keep mine at 42 Mbit, However if they don't sort out and i keep ending up on 35Mbit i might downgrade to 38. Running a speed test i should be able to get up to 50Mbit and i know i have done so before. Just that it did not last long before they did something and the speed dropped.

Thnx

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The thread you posted a link to is two years old. If BT were throttling as you have suggested I would have expected to see many more threads complaining that BT were breaching their Unlimited Policy.

Have you tried to establish if it is peak time congestion by running your downloads outside peak times to see how it performs.

Have you run the speed test at the time it slows down and again outside peak times.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Feejus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

A good point, And yes I might repeat myself here, the speed test was done during the issue occurd and the result was what i expected I.E no speed issue. Now that pointed me to the fact that the issue was down to the FTPserver but when i ran the VPN and the speed was much better i started to suspect BT. It might be just that BT has a hardware failure somewhere and they not noticed it or been able to address it yet.

So some result for your information.

Peaktime DL 34.2
None Peaktime DL 35

Ran the speed test during when the issue was happening, and while downloading

Peaktime 29.9 Mbit.
None Peaktime 31 Mbit.

Did not manage to run so many test but sometime after 11 or midnight the speed increased automaticly.

Thnx
0 Ratings
Feejus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I think BT has an issue with their network. This morning the speed test revealed following.

The test was run on wired computer directly connected to the router. No other equipment was connected at the time of the test. Anyone else can confirm if BT has performence network issues currently?Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

It could be specific to your exchange area.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings