Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cakestop
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

SMTP Server Issues

Go to solution

Since yesterday I've been unable to send email using SMTP authentication via mail.btinternet.com (from verified email addresses). The server is rejecting my username & password constantly although it used to be fine and I've not changed anything.

I can't find a service status page that covers anything other than broadband faults - anybody else having similar problems?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
TaRkA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: SMTP Server Issues

Go to solution

No similar faults, call the helpdesk, maybe the address is suspended for billing reasons or suspended for spam or something else. Call up and find out what it is. Also, does it work in the webmail or not? If it dont work there, its accoune based, if it does, you have the settings wrong.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

@cakestop wrote:

Since yesterday I've been unable to send email using SMTP authentication via mail.btinternet.com (from verified email addresses). The server is rejecting my username & password constantly although it used to be fine and I've not changed anything.

I can't find a service status page that covers anything other than broadband faults - anybody else having similar problems?

Hi cakestop.

Have a look at my shortcuts (link below) option 0d sub item h

0 Ratings
cakestop
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks both - however, the solution was....

On the off chance I tried a different username for SMTP authentication. It appears that BT may have changed a setting on their SMTP servers which rendered invalid the username format that I've previously used successfully  Smiley Mad

For many years I've been using my old unique broadband login from the pre homehub days in the form "username@hgXX.btinternet.com" where XX is a 2 digit number. I tried removing the "hgXX." leaving "username@btinternet.com" i.e. my BT email address and hey presto it works again.

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

@cakestop wrote:

Thanks both - however, the solution was....

On the off chance I tried a different username for SMTP authentication. It appears that BT may have changed a setting on their SMTP servers which rendered invalid the username format that I've previously used successfully  Smiley Mad

For many years I've been using my old unique broadband login from the pre homehub days in the form "username@hgXX.btinternet.com" where XX is a 2 digit number. I tried removing the "hgXX." leaving "username@btinternet.com" i.e. my BT email address and hey presto it works again.

I am actually amazed that even ever worked !

The hgxx access was only ever used as a login structure, I suppose that the smtp servers ignored it and as you had used the rest of your email address it worked. My shortcuts option 0d item a actually gives the struuture for login to btinternet via routers/adsl modems etc.

There was never really a unique login ID, just various home gateways.

0 Ratings
jrsmk1
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for this entry. I live in Milton Keynes and have been unable to send emails since the weekend but receiving has been fine. I too have an xxx.xxx@hg12.btinternet.com signin, and have had for at least 7 years. Removing the 'hg12.' component sorted my problems too. Nice of BT to keep us informed of changes!

jr

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

@jrsmk1 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for this entry. I live in Milton Keynes and have been unable to send emails since the weekend but receiving has been fine. I too have an xxx.xxx@hg12.btinternet.com signin, and have had for at least 7 years. Removing the 'hg12.' component sorted my problems too. Nice of BT to keep us informed of changes!

jr

hgxx has never been part of the email address, so as I said before it's surprising it ever worked.

Nothing has really changed with that regard. However it seems like some people did have this in their email settings, so it's something to be aware of if other people are having problems.

0 Ratings
cakestop
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

All's well that end well but clearly something has changed when something works for many years and then suddenly it stops working.

This goes back to when SMTP authentication was first introduced so I can't recall why I used my broadband username - perhaps because I don't use my spam magnet BT address the broadband username meant more to me, perhaps I tried without the hgxx and that didn't work (at the time). Most likely, one day I found outgoing email was suddenly no longer working, eventually figured that SMTP authentication had been introduced and, without any instructions what to do, the broadband username was the first thing I tried  Smiley Wink

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
GES
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Have had Bt broadband for ten years and no email problems on my Mac until now. Have tried changing name as suggested by others but it still wont accept my password or let me send any thing out. I have another ISP and that also is upset - both servers show ( offline) in Mail preferences. A

@Andy_N wrote:

@jrsmk1 wrote:

Hi

jr

hgxx has never been part of the email address, so as I said before it's surprising it ever worked.

Nothing has really changed with that regard. However it seems like some people did have this in their email settings, so it's something to be aware of if other people are having problems.

ny other suggestions ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

@GES wrote:

Have had Bt broadband for ten years and no email problems on my Mac until now. Have tried changing name as suggested by others but it still wont accept my password or let me send any thing out. I have another ISP and that also is upset - both servers show ( offline) in Mail preferences.

Any other suggestions ?

Hi GES.

When you say you changed your name, did you have the hgxx in the username ?

Make sure that you have the correct email address in your account settings, as well as setting smtp authentication for sending emails.

Not sure what you're referring to about the servers showing "offline" ....

For the "other ISP" - do you mean a different email address to btinternet, rather than actually having a different ISP access ?

Are you having any problems receiving emails ?

0 Ratings