cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 39

SMTP error 5.4.0

Can anyone cast any light on why I am unable to send emails to a particular domain?

When I send an email I get a bounce response from postmaster@smtpout02.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk

- These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:

nameremoved@mydomain.com; Failed; 5.4.0 (other or undefined network or routing status)

I am able to send email to that recipient from all other accounts (non BT/Yahoo) without any problem. The MX records on the receiving domain appear to be fine, DNS resolves etc.

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 39

Re: SMTP error 5.4.0

Oh my word - the support guys are so useful

" So just checked and found that its the Email client you are facing problem with the BT Yahoo server is working absoluteley fine"

Why are BT fobbing us off with such useless tech support? The guy didnt even know what SMTP is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Richard, did you ever get a solution for this?

I have exactly the same issue (identical delivery failed notification, etc) as you had.

This is only for one single recipient, and it only happens when sending from my btinternet.com addresses (tried with all 10 of them); I can send to this email address perfectly okay from gmail, hotmail, and my own presonal webmail.

I checked the recipients IP online and it's not listed on any blacklists.

Anyone have any idea what causes this?

Thanks,

OB

I'm a Private person; I respect those who respect my Privacy.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 39

OB

No, I didnt get any sensible response from BT but the problem went away by itself after a couple of days. I am 100% certain it is a BT or Yahoo problem (not really sure where my email actually goes to these days) as all other providers were fine.

Richard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 39

I am having exactly the same problem. Sending email to one particular domain, from any BTinternet account via Outlook. Sending via Yahoo or my mobile seems to work ok. 

Left scratching my head about this one. I will try the "wait a couple of days" approach. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 39

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the quick reply (apologies for my late reply).

Glad you got it sorted. Like Lazlo, though, I'm unfortunately still scratching my head over this.

It seems so weird that it's only this one address and only when sending from my btinternet.com addresses.

Ah, well; I can just use another of my millions of webmails to send.

Thanks, chaps, for the input.

OB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Sorry for bumping this back to the top.

Is there anyone in BTCare land who might have an explanation as to why this is happening?

This is only ONE recipient this happens with. Doesn't matter if I send from Outlook on my PC, from my phone, or from the BT Webmail interface. I can send from GMail or any other webmail interface, just NOT from a btinternet.com address.

I have dealings with this company several times a week (disabled child's Care company) and this is getting urgent that it's fixed. It's driving me bonkers!

Thanks in advance.

OB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 39

Hi I am also having this problem, but only to one of my s...

Hi I am also having this problem, but only to one of my sub accounts from a range of different recipients, including my master account. the suggested solution of 'just wait a few days and see if it clears' has not worked, it appears that the failure notifications have been arriving since the middle of November, and being dumped in spam.

this is one of the responses:

Reporting-MTA: dns; smtpout01.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk

Received-from-MTA: dns; xxxxxx (xx.xxx.xxx.xx)

Arrival-Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 21:01:46 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822; xxxxxxxx@btopenwold.com

Action: Failed

Status: 5.4.0 (other or undefined network or routing status)

Can someone tell me how to get this escalated, or at least get an admin to respond as the sub account holder (my elderly mother) is panicking that she has not received important mails.

thank you

Jan B

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 39

Just adding a "me too" here.  I don't have a BT internet account myself, but people with @btinternet.com e-mail addresses keep ringing and saying they're getting bouncebacks with error 5.4.0 from postmaster@smtpout05.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk

The problem has been going on sporadically for a number of weeks.

I've just spent a couple of hours on the phone to BT support, they've said they will get back to me within 3 days...

I have Rackspace checking things at my end, but I suspect it's at BT's end.

I also directed them towards this thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 39

Just adding another "me too".

Exactly the same problem.

If I use mail.btinternet.com as my outgoing mail server it doesn't arrive.

If I use one of my other outgoing servers then it's fine.

Also the person I'm sending email to is on a mail server operated by Rackspace.

The odd thing is it's just one particular domain, all the other domains (also at Rackspace) work fine.

0 Ratings