cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrishp22
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

SMTP outgoing settings for non-BT email account

I switched to BT Infinity earlier this month, but want to retain my existing non-BT email account. I'm continuing to receive emails, but cannot configure the outgoing server. I've searched the forum postings including andyweb with no success.

I'm using Mozilla Thuinderbird.

The settings I've tried are:

server name - mail.btinternet.com;

port 25,

user name  - I've tried three: myname/myname@which.net/myname@btinternet.com

authentication method - normal password

connection security - SSL/TLS

The error message I'm getting is 'timed out while connecting to SMTP server'

I tried using the default port and got a message asking for a password - I used the one provided by BT for mobile wifi with no success.

Any suggestions welcome - it's a chore using webmail as a workaround.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: SMTP outgoing settings for non-BT email account

you have to verify your non bt address http://www.btyahoo.com/verify

this may help too http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876

0 Ratings
ashtreex
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

It looks as though the first link may be useful.

The second, to BT's standard help page is absolutely useless. It only gives partial information and quickly dumps you into BT's misnamed 'technical help', beware it costs you £15 a call and the help are not competent, they don't even know what you are asking them.

I love it that two steps into the help sequence meant to tell you how to set up your non-bt email account, you end up with the curt message, "Sorry, but we can't help with email accounts that we don't provide."
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

@ashtreex wrote:
It looks as though the first link may be useful.

The second, to BT's standard help page is absolutely useless. It only gives partial information and quickly dumps you into BT's misnamed 'technical help', beware it costs you £15 a call and the help are not competent, they don't even know what you are asking them.

I love it that two steps into the help sequence meant to tell you how to set up your non-bt email account, you end up with the curt message, "Sorry, but we can't help with email accounts that we don't provide."

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

In addition to the first link as shown, extra info on my shortcuts (link below) option 0e may be useful.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

mail.btinternet.com doesn't support SSL/TLS connections on port 25

Edit: The client settings should be the same for a non-BT account as for a @btinternet.com one.

0 Ratings
C1Rider
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Set Thunderbird to automatically " find " the settings for your E_Mail address; it worked for me.

Having said that each day after I switch on the PC and Thunderbird automatically checks for mail I get a " server timed out " error.

Maybe it's a bug ????

Cheers..   Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
ashtreex
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Whoo! finally I can send email, with my normal non-bt email address.

Here are the settings I used, in Thunderbird, but most email clients need the same stuff:

Outgoing server (SMTP): I called it "bt outgoing"

Server Name:  mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

User name: just your user name, for instance, fluffypaws

[you will be asked to input your bt internet account password, which in my case is the same as my bt internet Yahoo! password, the first time you send]

Then you do have to register your non BT email address with Yahoo! as Bullitt gives above:

http://www.btyahoo.com/verify

It is complicated but just follow the instructions. Thanks Bullitt for the vital clue.

0 Ratings
jackfwilkinson
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Thank you so much Bullitt and Astreex - legends. 

After 2 agonising useless calls to the tech help centre, your posts just sorted it for me!

Thank you!!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

I am relieved to find your message - I need to do exactly the same - setting up the smtp for a non-bt email BUT from within Mail on a Mac.  I moved from Virgin to BT Infinity this month and the Virgin server is no longer working.  Would it be exactly the same procedure as outlined here?   Thanks

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

@christinalausevic wrote:

I am relieved to find your message - I need to do exactly the same - setting up the smtp for a non-bt email BUT from within Mail on a Mac.  I moved from Virgin to BT Infinity this month and the Virgin server is no longer working.  Would it be exactly the same procedure as outlined here?   Thanks

Hi.

The current verify method would indeed be the same at present. When the migration from Yahoo! to Critical Path is made.

I am not entirely clear what will then happen to verified accounts - as these are verified within the Yahoo! systems.

I've not mentioned this before, but I've been considering it for some weeks, and I am currently sceptical that anyone who has verified accounts will have them moved. The info here :-

We'll also move across most of your settings. However, there will be a small number of services or settings that we cannot replicate or move across to the new email platform. We'll give out more detail on this nearer the time with help and advice on what you can do.

may refer to verified accounts amongst other things. That will clearly lead to issues for a lot of people.

Hopefully the support moderators can find out what will happen to verified accounts.

0 Ratings